Free File Hosting

As another Storm season approaches I thought I would make up a list of free sites, for those without a server or webpage avaliable, were you can upload your chase videos. Upload and download speeds vary across the different sites.

General file hosting:

RapidFile

* 100 MB file-size limit
* File stays online forever (unlimited downloads) unless it has not been accessed for awhile (unknown time-frame)
* Must wait for a countdown to end before beginning downloads
* FAST speeds

YouSendIt

* 1 GB file-size limit
* Files stay online for 7 days or 25 downloads (whichever comes first)
* Files are instantly accessible for download
* Ability to resume downloads using YSIGet

Megaupload

* 250 MB file-size limit
* File stays online forever (unlimited downloads) unless it has not been accessed for 30 days
* Displays file upload progress, including percentage done, speed, and time remaining

RapidShare

* 100 MB file-size limit
* File stays online forever (unlimited downloads) unless it has not been accessed for 30 days
* Limits the number downloads within the hour

Putfile

* 10 MB file-size limit (Quick Upload)
* 25 MB file-size limit (Free Account)
* 2 MB file-size limit (images)
* Files deleted after 6 months of inactivity

Savefile

* 60 MB file-size limit
* No bandwidth limit
* Files deleted after 10-14 days of inactivity
* Accounts are optional

FileFactory

* 500 MB file-size limit
o Files deleted after 15 days of inactivity

* 1.5 GB file-size limit through e-mail
o Files deleted after 7 days or 25 downloads

11MBit.in

* 20 MB file-size limit
* Inactive files automatically deleted (unknown time-frame)
* No partial archive files allowed

Dropload

* 100 MB file-size limit
* Files deleted after 7 days
* Account required for uploading

FileFront

* 1 GB file-size limit (uploads must not take more than 10 hours)
* Account required for uploading
* File management capabilities
* Unlimited uploads/downloads

Hope this helps some of you out!
Cheers Steve

Thank you for the detailed list!

A couple warnings though:

-"Free" file hosts have a habit of dropping off the earth with little or no notice, so I wouldn't keep anything there that's too important or that hasn't been backed up somewhere else. In some cases the free image storage area can also bring down the site if a lot of "Fark" type users are using the services as well.

- make sure you investigate whether or not your files are "open access" for everyone or not.. and whether this is suitable for you. I can't say for sure for all of the sites on the list, but I know a couple of them are intended for the user to "share" their material with the general populace.

Originally posted by John B Erwin
Thank you for the detailed list!

A couple warnings though:

-"Free" file hosts have a habit of dropping off the earth with little or no notice, so I wouldn't keep anything there that's too important or that hasn't been backed up somewhere else. In some cases the free image storage area can also bring down the site if a lot of "Fark" type users are using the services as well.

- make sure you investigate whether or not your files are "open access" for everyone or not.. and whether this is suitable for you. I can't say for sure for all of the sites on the list, but I know a couple of them are intended for the user to "share" their material with the general populace.

I think common sense should prevail when it comes to what you want uploaded and people to use/see.

Rapidfile and Megaupload are what I use when I dont want to max out my own bandwith on my webpage with large files.

Back