For as much as some people dislike Wal-Mart

whats so sad is whats put next to Ford motors credit company

its so sad because then you see what GM, Toyota and Nissan are doing

where is Diamler Chrysler?

The company I work for, National Pizza Company (NPC International), had over 100 Pizza Hut stores in the Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana area that were hit by the hurricane, some of those stores have been completely destroyed. As of right now I think we have 60 Pizza Hut stores still closed either because of extensive damage, flooded out, or just completely gone.

So we have a tremendous amount of NPC employee's who lost everything, our company - NPC - donated $50,000 to help the victims... and money is still coming in! I think it's awesome!

To the guest...

It's very possible the CNN Money list is not updated even though the time stamp would indicate it would be. It only shows a $1 million donation from Wal-Mart to the Salvation Army. I agree that what they have for Ford pales in comparison to other companies and the fact that Daimler Chrysler isn't listed at all is concerning as well. I went to their website but there's nothing posted regarding assistance. I certainly expect they and Ford will come forward with a much greater contribution in the coming days.

The local Katy WalMart has hired 30 of the storm victims living in a local firestation to help them get some cash to start the task of rebuilding their lives. My daughter's boyfriend's mother is the one hiring them.

This is cool. I hope other WalMart stores in the region do the same for those looking to get employment to start the long road to healing.

Corporate donations are always universally applauded, but here's a crash economics lesson:

Whose money IS that, exactly? It's the stockholders' money. Did they vote to donate that money? Nope. It has essentially just been given on their behalf without their consent. Are the stockholders fat cat rich people? Well, a few are, but the vast majority of stockholders throughout America are everyday working-class stiffs who have invested that money as savings for retirement, kids' college, etc. Do they object to the corporation giving away their money in such a fashion? In the vast majority of cases, NO. Corporations make charitable contributions constantly. If you invest in a company, you know, or ought to know, that it is a SOP that is part of business.

The boards of these companies make these decisions because the board members are (mostly) good, hard-working, God-fearing moral human beings who love their country and their fellow Americans. Maybe just one of you will remember that before you utter the words "corporate greed" next time.

However, also remember that corporate donations are Good Business. It is a business decision as much as a humanitarian decision.

Bob

Corporate donations are always universally applauded, but here's a crash economics lesson:

Whose money IS that, exactly? It's the stockholders' money. Did they vote to donate that money? Nope. It has essentially just been given on their behalf without their consent. Are the stockholders fat cat rich people? Well, a few are, but the vast majority of stockholders throughout America are everyday working-class stiffs who have invested that money as savings for retirement, kids' college, etc. Do they object to the corporation giving away their money in such a fashion? In the vast majority of cases, NO. Corporations make charitable contributions constantly. If you invest in a company, you know, or ought to know, that it is a SOP that is part of business.

The boards of these companies make these decisions because the board members are (mostly) good, hard-working, God-fearing moral human beings who love their country and their fellow Americans. Maybe just one of you will remember that before you utter the words "corporate greed" next time.

However, also remember that corporate donations are Good Business. It is a business decision as much as a humanitarian decision.

Bob

Don't forget.. Tax deductable too!

Back