Film Tools Windsheild Mount

I know this mount has been brought up before and it seems quite popular:

http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-in-car-windshield-camera-mount.html

My question is if anyone knows if it will hold a bulkier camera. I also was wondering how well it pivots and turns so I can move the camera rather than my vehicle. Im using an old Sony 8mm handycam to stream. The 8mm drive is broken thus all the camera is good for is the live feed so for me it works out perfect.

Here it is with my Chicago style mount...

04252609%20010.jpg

Im pretty sure it will fit, but I just wanted to check with those who already use it. Thanks!

I recently got this model and it is as solid as a rock. It will hold your camera and then some. It can also be suctioned (is that a word?) on non-glass flat surfaces like a dashboard, a roof, door or whatever. Manfrotto makes a great product here. The only thing is that it is not small and does take up more space that you'd think but all in all I would definitely reccomend it.

Film tools buys separate parts from bogen and puts these together themselves. I have one and ordered 10 more units for various customers. This is by far the best camera mount I have seen or found after several years of looking. We will have 10 of these in stock at bakerphotovideo.com avilable friday for $99.00 each

As mentioned it will handle the weight of your camera and then some. It's a fantastic mount. I would however be concerned about the width of your camera. The Manfrotto mount does not provide for very wide cameras. The DV camera I use barely clears the double ball joint section of the mount. Feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to take some measurements and pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an awesome mount! The weight won't be an issue, though as mentioned I'm not sure how wide your old 8mm camera is. It looks taller than it is wide, but I know some of those older cameras are pretty bulky. It fits my mini-dv cameras just fine, but even my Canon HV30 was a bit of a tight squeeze. Panning and such is very easy, and there's no shaking or vibration in the video.

3339570160_cb87934206.jpg

I bought the 6" suction base with mine and I love it. It is rock solid no problems so far.

Adam:

Is that a Sony TRV 250 in that photo? I might be willing to make an offer on that. My 250 drive works, but my CCD board needs to have a few surface mounts re-soldier, but if you want to sell it.

That way, you can then explore the idea of just getting a webcam or small, lightweight camera for streaming, which won't require any heavy dash/windshield mounting system.

I use the exact same mount on my car, with a JVC GR-D295 camera with ease. Just gotta make sure like most that your camera isn't too wide for the mount.

I love that you can pivot it and angle shoot whilst driving, that has been a bit of a crutch with other mounts I've used.

Back