• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Film (analog) photography

Getting back to storm chasing for the upcoming 2020 season.
Since my way to long break I have completely quited digital photography to go back to my true first love, film photography.
I'm curious to know if anyone on here when strom chasing uses film photography?
:D

I got back into film this year, but for me it's in addition to digital rather than in place of it. I picked up an Elan 7ne for relatively cheap and have been shooting with it since probably August. Haven't had the opportunity to use it on a chase though so I'll probably have to wait for spring on that.

I intend to start doing this at some point. I have my old Pentax K1000 but haven't decided on film. I've also been considering looking into medium format as that will get you closer to digital resolution in a scan.

Also FYI I posted a thread on this subject earlier this year:

Excellent Drew and Dan !
For my part I shoot pretty exclusively on black & white film.
I will be using my Pentax K1000 but I<m hoping to get my hands on a Nikon F5 these are pretty darn cheap nowadays...
But my workhouse is a Mamiya RB67 with with 3 lenses (90, 127 and 180mm)

Thanks for the thread link Dan!

I was already invested in Canon EF mount glass, so it made sense for me to stick with Canon. While not anything storm related, I've had some nice pics. Some just landscape when I made a rare run out to California, then actually picked up some faster film for a nearby airshow as well.

A few years back I shot B/W and $lide/E6 on a 6x6 Bronica. I've got a few rather nice images, but even with home development, feeding the thing got expensive. Yes, Dan, well exposed medium format E6 lightning is a glorious thing! This year I started bringing my old T-90 Canon along, shooting fine grain B/W on those occasions when two digital cameras just aren't enough! :rolleyes: Some of the negatives look great, but I haven't yet done anything with them. :confused: The success is encouraging and I hope to shoot more next season. Chasing the Az monsoon, chaser convergences are commonplace. It's good to have something semi-unique to show when 4 other people caught the same bolt from the same angle.

Film is not technically Analog.

Analog means a continuously variable signal (Usually an electrical signal), like a television signal.

In analog television, this continuous varying value is used to modulate an electron beam inside of a cathode ray tube. As the beam is deflected through a raster scan, the constantly varying intensity of the beam is timed just right in order to form an image on the phosphor mosaic at the front of the tube.

I have been recording weather through "Analog Videography" since I am a nerd who messes with Analog Television.

Before the invention of the CCD, television cameras tubes such as Emitron and eventually Vidicon in order to convert light into a raster. A camera tube can be thought of as pretty much the opposite of a picture tube.

Since tubes like this are susceptible to burn in and glare, lightning strikes look very cool, and are actually captured, also, if you modify your scan rate, you could theoretically have infinite resolution (not really practical).

Anyone else use old television equipment to record weather?

Probably not.

My goal to be the first person to record a tornado through 32 line Mechanical Narrow Band Television probably has no competition

My horoscope today basically told me ramble all day, I then asked myself "Don't I already do that anyways?", then I asked myself "Why the hell am I reading a horoscope in the first place?"

Back