EBAY SCANNERS - WHICH ONE?

bill mudd

EF4
i AM IN THE USED MARKET FOR A SCANNER, AND EBAY SEEMS TO BE WHERE ITS AT - BUT i WANT ONE THAT IS EASY TO READ - PERFERABILITY WITH A FINE TUNE/MANUAL DIAL? iVE ALLOCATE $250
ANYONE ?

EBAY SCANNERS - WHICH ONE?

Are you talking about a police scanner? I like my Uniden BC350C, but I was really thinking about purchasing a Uniden BCT8. It has a few more features, and the buttons are all lit up. Right now I go off the light my Galaxy 99 CB radio puts out. Most E-Bay Sellers have full info about both, and there is also info on the uniden website.

I hope that helps you.

Try and find a used Uniden Bearcat BC780XLT; this is a favorite of mine. It does not have digital capabilities but no one really uses that except a few police departments. The frequency range is larger than alot of other scanners plus it has TrunkTracker which is a GREAT feature. Occasionally you might be able to pick one up for $250 but just keep your eye out...

The best handheld scanner out today (if you don't need digital) is the BC246T and that only runs around $250 new (probably less used.)

- Rob

Originally posted by bill mudd
yea a police scanner (as some call it)
seems like its a popular item for chasing and its a small investment
ps should I leave my 40 channel cb at home?
bill

Probably... I have a CB in my car, but only because I put it in there 5 years ago. I used it once that year, and I haven't used it since. Between the hams, laptop, etc, I can't really see a need for CB, except for maybe car-to-car communication of you're in a caravan of sorts (and the other person happens to have a CB) or if you like to listen to truckers...

I just got the new Radio Shack Pro-2051 Triple Trucking Mobile/Base Scanner....This unit has a feature bulit in for Skywarn also preprogrammed with most of the metro trunking systems. It is smaller (about a 1/3) than the older Radio Shack scanner and it is a metal case. I paid $199.95 new, it works well, I used it Saturday while I was out in Pratt and Stafford Co Kansas. Still reading the book on it, I might have it all figured out by the time this season comes to and end..lol

Jay Cazel

I just picked up a Uniden BCT8 for about $175 new. Will I need to buy an upgraded antenna for my vehicle? Any suggestions? Is there anything out there that is a bit smaller, perhaps not quite as noticeable as a typical ham antenna? I came across a cellular look-alike type antenna from Radio Shack that mounts through the glass I beleive, any thoughts on something like that?

No I do not think it is....I have asked that question before about police and fire bands...i.e 800 trunked...about going digtial, and most around here Wichita, Kansas City OKC...etc....are stayting with the analog system because the expence of digital and the range of the digital systems are not that great....but I could be wrong, they might have solved the range problem with digital system by now.....but still you get EVERY thing else with this scanner....

Jay

Originally posted by Ben Leitschuh
I just picked up a Uniden BCT8 for about $175 new. Will I need to buy an upgraded antenna for my vehicle? Any suggestions? Is there anything out there that is a bit smaller, perhaps not quite as noticeable as a typical ham antenna? I came across a cellular look-alike type antenna from Radio Shack that mounts through the glass I beleive, any thoughts on something like that?

Yes, get that one....its in a long see through plastic package. you may want to bring your scanner with you just to make sure it fits. but that is the one i got for my police scanner.

By the way....how do you like your BCT8....I have really been thinking about buying one.....i'm looking for a descent 2 meter as well.

Back