Ebay - Hurricane Katrina - You will not believe ....

Just had to see for my self after a friend told me about this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OWN-A-PIECE-OF-SUPERDO...1QQcmdZViewItem

I also typed in Hurricane Katrina in the Ebay search and 150 items popped up. Some things are down right ridiculous. I'm also curious as to how much fraud is taking place where the seller says a certain percentage will be going to the Katrina Disaster Relief fund. How do you really tell if it is legit?

Mike Ridgeway

Dear "Guest", please note that many of us....including myself....swear like drunken sailors while we're chasing....we run a clean "no-swear" website here. This is really a good thing...as there are a lot of younger members here that are learning things from more experienced "adult" chasers. Thanks for adhering to this! And btw.....I'd be willing to bet that every single registered member of StormTrack would catagorize the fools who are profiting on ebay from Katrina debris in the exact same manner that you just did. You nailed it when you called 'em what you did.

This could be considered as looting. I imaging ebay will take down the item long before th auction ends. The same thing happened with pieces of the shuttle.

If you read the posting on ebay, it sounds like it is just metal that is 'like' the metal from the roof of the superdome.
I don't know which is worse, pretending to sell pieces of it, or actually doing it.

If you read the posting on ebay, it sounds like it is just metal that is 'like' the metal from the roof of the superdome.
I don't know which is worse, pretending to sell pieces of it, or actually doing it.

Agreed, he is claiming it is the same material, not that it actually came from the Superdome. The seller if from Kentucky and misspells Louisiana. (This is not a comment on Kentuckians, just questioning the authenticity.)

“Just for specifics, this is a square piece of raw, rough cut steel roof deck the louisiana superdome roof is/was made of it. I have a large piece of this metal and can sell it in about any size you are willing to pay for. I am selling the metal by the square inch so a piece 1in.X1in. is 75cents, a 2in. X 2in. piece is 1.50, a 3in. x 3 in. piece is 2.25â€￾

Bah. Not at all surprised.

I saw people selling pieces of the World Trade Center on Ebay after 9/11. And I went to an exhibit in New York City where an "artist" (I can't repeat here what I REALLY called him in private) did 3-dimensional art, and used pieces of World Trade Center debris to help construct his work.

Never mind that this debris could have been TOXIC, or that the powdered remains of PEOPLE might have been mixed in with this debris. :roll:

The proceeds were to go to charity. Uh-huh. I guess it makes using WTC debris totally excusable, eh? :roll:

Saul, did you really get in the face of that guy that used WTCenter debris for his art exhibit? Bigtime kudos if that's the way it came down. Once you "called him" over what you saw...how did he react?

Come on, there is a HUGE difference between trying to personally profit from disaster by selling pieces of the superdome (or pretending to sell pieces of pretend superdome, or whatever), and incorporating pieces of the WTC into an artwork that is being sold only to generate donations to charity, especially if that charity specifically benifits WTC victims and their families. You might feel the art is in bad taste, and you might be right, but you can't compare the artist to the vermin on eBay. I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

BTW They just took down the auction... I've been on eBay for quite a few years, and I knew they wouldn't let somebody sell stuff like this.

debris

thank god the powers that be that run ebay have some scruples, some low lifes just thrive on other peoples pains!

Back