EasyCap and Live Streaming

Ok first a little background story...

The HD Camcorder I have does not have USB streaming capability (that i can tell), nor does it have a firewire port. It has a USB port, mini HDMI, and two cables that output either Composite or Component Video from the camcorder connection.

I solved the streaming video problem by using the EasyCap as my connection interface between my Sony HD camcorder and an older laptop to provide a video source for my live stream. My old way of running live streaming was to use the Easycap Composite Video to USB device with the composite cable in the camcorder. It worked great!

The problem:

My old laptop ran Windows XP which supported the EasyCap Drivers. But the old laptop isnt powerful enough. So I upgraded to a new laptop which came with Windows 7 64 bit and it looks like the easycap doesn't work with Vista 64 or Windows 7 64 bit OS :mad:.

Now the question:

Does anybody have a similar issue and a possible (but not too expensive) solution? I haven’t been able to find an Easycap type device that works with windows 7 64bit or any drivers that work with windows 7. The laptop does have an HDMI port but so far I haven’t been able to use it for anything except plugging the laptop into an HDTV to use as an output.

Or, does software or something exist to use the HDMI ports on laptops as input from an HD camcorder?

Anyone who has had success or has any brilliant ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This worked perfectly for me last year when I was dealing with ED and late night meltdowns because Vista wasn't playing nice with my new EasyCrap.

Yeah, easyCap and my Vista need to be separated and put in their respective corners. Even Ben Holcomb couldn't get it to work in the hotel room. :mad:

Goto Ebay and search Easycap dc60+. Look for version 3.1. I picked up one of these from Ebay and had no problems using it on Vista 64 and windows 7 64 bit. Good luck!

I was able to find drivers for my current EasyCap thanks to Kory Hartmans help. So far they seem to work ok but I'll update on how well they work after some real use.

I have not been able to get easycap to work with Vista or Windows7 64bit.
I gave up on it and reverted back to XP for the dedicated vehicle chase computer. It doesn't need anything more as it is only running applications needed for the chase. I still can pull out my laptop and get data in the car or hotel rooms.

Gerard, et al...

I'm thinking of picking up an Hd camcorder and trying to figure out the streaming issue. Perhaps I'll have two camcorders...one non-hd for streaming and another for higher quality vid.

Questions:
1) When streaming with Hd camcorder what quality of video stream do you use? In other words...I assume it is SD quality right?
2) If you stream in SD are you still able to record in HD?
3) How do you handle multiple inputs such as the dashcam pointed out of the vehicle and an inner cab camera?

1) When streaming with Hd camcorder what quality of video stream do you use? In other words...I assume it is SD quality right?

Yes, you use the SD output from the camcorder. Its rather cumbersome to actually decode the HD output in realtime with most of the hardware solutions today, and then streaming that amount of data is going to use way too much bandwidth, especially on a mobile connection.

2) If you stream in SD are you still able to record in HD?

Yes, the camcorder records to whatever media it uses, tape, memory card, or hard drive. You might have other options with a tape or memory card camcorder, but with a hard drive camcorder you have to use the SD analog video output (RCA composite or SVideo) for streaming. These outputs work independently of the recording.

3) How do you handle multiple inputs such as the dashcam pointed out of the vehicle and an inner cab camera?

I haven't done it myself but I believe you actually use two different webcams, and then you have webcam software that combines them into a picture-in-picture type display and creates a single virtual webcam from that. You then use this virtual webcam to stream.

I'm thinking of picking up an Hd camcorder and trying to figure out the streaming issue. Perhaps I'll have two camcorders...one non-hd for streaming and another for higher quality vid.

This is 100% what I recommend: A cheap mini-dv camcorder (175.00) or higher-end webcam (80.00-90.00) for the dashcam stream.

Then, if you are itching to purchase a new HD camcorder for recording the "big one" this year, keep it on the tripod shooting outside the car.

Having a dashcam that records to tape is nice as a backup or for times you can't get out of the car.

I hear "ManyCam" will do the picture-in-picture but it seems to hog resources and slow your computer down. I recommend Wirecast if you can afford it.

If anyone has questions on how to put all the cords and gadgets together with the type of cam and laptop they have or are planning to buy, email me anytime.

Manycam doesn't do picture in picture last I checked. It is a resource hog. There are other programs out there that do PiP and use less resources, however.

Is this incompatibility only on 64bit or both 32 and 64? I have Vista 32bit. I have an older laptop with XP Pro that I could attempt at using though RAM is very limited on that machine.

I streamed over the weekend for the first time with Windows 7 (32-bit) and I did not have any problems with easycap. Ran the same version as I was previously running with Vista, which was the drivers right of the CD that came with.

Back