Earthmate LT-20 GPS with WIN7?

So I know there are multiple discussions about GPS and splitting GPS signal for several programs i.e GRlevelx, spotternetwork, delorme/S&T. I have had my earthmate puck (Lt-20) since 2006 and it still works with the delorme serial emulator on XP. However, it does not work with WIN7 32/64 bit. I tried to use the emulator in XPmode in WIN7 but I cannot get the XPmode to recognize the GPS receiver. I tried other GPS splitter programs such as xport or GPSgate. I have not gotten the LT-20 to work with either program successfully or at all really. Has anyone had any ability to get this specific GPS puck to work with a USB GPS splitter? IF anyone has had the same issues what was a resolution to the issue if you had to find another puck that was inexpensive and universal to use with all programs?

A search of ST should reveal a couple of threads (though I just searched even "GPS" in the equipment forum, and got 'no results found' :/ ), since I know it's been discussed in the distant past. I had problems getting my Earthmate puck to work properly in Win7-64 -- it would work using the "native" protocol in Street Atlas, but I couldn't split it to use with other applications. I ended up ditching the Earthmate as a result. For the past couple of years, I've been using the GlobalSat BU-353 receiver with GPSGate, and it's worked very well for me.

Thanks Jeff, for a quick response. I tried a search as well with the same results that's why I started this topic. I have spent hours trying to find a solution. I wanted to try and use the LT-20 still to save a few bucks for chase season, but everything I try is a dead end and the Delorme support site/forum is the same result.

the BU353s are cheap enough if you keep an eye out on Amazon & ebay. I paid $30 used. It is the most simple answer.

Jeff, search requires at least four characters, but most of the old threads won't show anyway because of the switch over in January.

Has anyone had good use of the Microsoft Pharos GPS-500 III GPS Receiver with either GPSgate or Xport? I found one for $20. I am not wanting to spend much here if I bought the receiver plus the GPSgate that would be around $50-60. I am trying to find a cheap workaround and Xport is free.

According to what I've found, that unit does output NMEA-0183@4800 baud (the standard), so it should be able to feed GPSGate. Another option - do you have a car GPS unit like Garmin Nuvi, Mio, or TomTom? Some of those can output NMEA through the USB port. I know on the Garmins it's a pain in the butt because of the process, but if you're on a budget, it'll do because it's free. :D (You would just have to buy GPSGate.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a TOM TOM and was wondering about using that as well. But in my research I did not get far in my understanding on how to even start. I'll try downloading the GPSgate once again. I think my issue is having the programs recognize the GPS port.

Has anyone had good use of the Microsoft Pharos GPS-500 III GPS Receiver with either GPSgate or Xport? I found one for $20. I am not wanting to spend much here if I bought the receiver plus the GPSgate that would be around $50-60. I am trying to find a cheap workaround and Xport is free.

Yes, it works great. I replaced my old Delorme puck with a BU-353 and the Microsoft/Pharos unit and found myself using the Pharos unit more than the BU-353 because the Pharos unit is smaller and less cumbersome and works just as well.

So, I have been able to discover that my computer at least recognizes the Delorme Earthmate USB GPS. It took me a while to find what com port it is reading to, yet I could not force GPSgate to read com port4. I have been tinkering around with it for another half hour or so. I may just go with the Pharos GPS unit as it is my cheaper alternative. As long as it comes with a driver to install I think that will solve some of the issues.

I researched more on the Pharos GPS and found that it should work with Xport on my WIN7 professional 32bit machine. I gave up on the earthmate. I gotta go storms are coming on shore, might get some lightning shots tonight. First of 2011.

Kurt,

I searched the .pdf user manual found here XL-330 for the Tom Tom XL-330 you own for the terms 'NMEA' to determine if it offers an external data stream in the NMEA format and nothing came up, so I'm of the opinion that you wouldn't be able to use that for your setup (although I could be wrong). If you can purchase a separate cheap puck (the two that were mentioned here would be just fine) you should have the problem whipped. I haven't met one person on this forum yet who was successfully able to get the Delorme LT-40 to work with GPSGate, so don't beat yourself up about it. The Delorme BT-20 works just fine and is the unit I and several other members use for their chase setup. I am venturing a guess that the LT-20 is an older USB version that Delorme no longer manufactures as I was able to find references to it on their support website, but not much else in the way of useful information.

I am just going to paste a couple of links for you here where you can read material already posted about this subject rather than reposting it. This comes up quite often and it's a subject that has been covered pretty thoroughly, so hopefully you'll find the answers you need by reading the previous threads.

Thread #1.

Thread #2.

If you have any questions after perusing the past material please let us know, but IMHO the only option you have is to purchase a cheap puck online in order to resolve your issue.

Thanks,
Mark

+1 For the Pharos unit. I have several GPS "pucks" and other devices and this one has been the easiest one to use. I also use it with XPort; no problems experienced thus far.

Back