Early-Season CO Front Range Snowstorm

We have gotten easily a foot of snow at my place up at 9080' west of Denver. I had to plow our driveway twice already and to top it all our propane tank ran out and we have no heat or hot water! Mike, you should come up here if you want to see some big snowfall! :D

How do you chase a snowstorm? Do you just follow the trends, and then, get caught in the snow?

Sort of like you'd chase storms (or a hurricane, for this matter)... You make a forecast, pick an area - and go to it...

Verne, you're alive! And you speak! Was wonderin' how you were fairin' up there. Glad to see you got some snow up that way. I literally have seen only a wet dusting of snow downtown; about 2, maybe 3 inches in Lakewood, and a bit more down my work (Southwest Denver/Ken Caryl).

A huge disappointment for me I must say as I was hoping to at least PRETEND to come close to the predicted amounts... they were saying 8 to 18 inches last night and we couldn't even hit in that 10 inch range! *LOL* I'm not sure we could even convert what melted on contact to muster anywhere near that much. Damn NW winds kicked it all out east.

Ah well, its early and its nice to see a setup like this so soon. Hopefully this proves to be an omen for us!

How do you chase a snowstorm? Do you just follow the trends, and then, get caught in the snow?

Sort of like you'd chase storms (or a hurricane, for this matter)... You make a forecast, pick an area - and go to it...

Nick, I do understand that bit, what I meaning to refer to was, what exactly are you targeting/trying to get to?

Nick, I do understand that bit, what I meaning to refer to was, what exactly are you targeting/trying to get to?

I guess your question should be "how do you forecast a winter storm?"... And to get an answer to that question, you would probably need to start your own thread and let all of us winter storm buffs chime in :wink:

Not so much as forecasting, but just what are you trying to get out of chasing a winter/snow system?

Well, chasing winter storms certainly isn't my cup of tea (definitely wouldn't do it), but for some others - it's the exact opposite... Just as chasing severe storms, tornadoes, etc. rocks my boat, but some others wouldn't even care...

Not so much as forecasting, but just what are you trying to get out of chasing a winter/snow system?

Again, not that this belongs in this thread, but... For me, it's the calmness, tranquility, and silence of falling snow - only to be distrubed by a clap or two of thunder. There's just something about deserted city streets, stranded cars, etc.. that creates quite a scene.

Interesting question. The short, straight answer would be the simple awe and beauty of mother nature. Much like my reasoning for chasing severe storms. There is the human impact, as well. I would not have done this had I not known there was the possibility that this event could disrupt people's normal, everyday lives...if only for a day. 10" or greater of snow is not unusual in the Denver metro area. 10" or greater snow within the first 10 days of October, on the other hand, is a bit more unusual considering the fact that leaves are on all the trees still and the damage potential was high. This all factored into the decision to chase/document this.

So the reasons are multi-fold, but it centers around the beauty and dangers of severe and unusual weather. I love photography, too, which is another reason. Too each their own, but I've been a snow lover my entire life and I'll jump at the opportunity to see a good footer if it's within a reasonable driving distance :)

Mike U

Back