Double channel lightning strike

• Thread starter Christophe Suarez
  • Start date

Christophe Suarez

Good evening,

Although I already heard about similar cases, I was surprised to shoot the following strike with 2 apparent channels. I shoted using a D50 @ F/22 and polar filter (day time), exposure was about 1/15s. I'm curious, and would appreciate any explanation of this phenomenon.

double-canal.jpg

double-canal-crop.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

This is known as the 'ribbon' effect, caused when the wind moves the lightning channel sideways as each successive return stroke discharges. The stronger the wind, the greater horizontal displacement of return stroke channels in the image.

http://wvlightning.com/ribbon.shtml

Since the air around thunderstorms is almost always moving with the wind, and since a lightning channel is essentially part of the air (ionized air), lightning channels are almost always drifting sideways as they discharge.

Is there not, simply one exception to this phenomenon? I can recall I time, when there was a dependency on your focusing of the lightning discharge in question (the one filling the frame, likely). This can occur when the light is not evenly distributed from the light being inputted, and metered by the lens and the camera, and because of the imbalanced lighting, it gives the impression of the twin stroke effect. However, this is only one way, that this can occur, your photograph, is a valid picture of the ribboning effect.

So, it seems there can be two ways for this to occur, one is a real, natural phenomenon, and the other is faulty focusing...I must say, I have had it occur due to bad focusing, so consider your self lucky to capture such a mystical event in a still image.

As Andrew pointed out, this can occur with certain camera lenses - particularly if there is a UV filter or additional layer of glass in front of the lens. This type of internal lens reflection tends though to be either displaced vertically or have 'smearing' of the channel.

As Andrew pointed out, this can occur with certain camera lenses - particularly if there is a UV filter or additional layer of glass in front of the lens. This type of internal lens reflection tends though to be either displaced vertically or have 'smearing' of the channel. [/b]

So Dan, if I understand you correctly, it's best to remove the UV or polarizer lens from the camera when attempting to photograph lightning? I'm still very new to lightning photography and am trying to learn as much as possible.

As Andrew pointed out, this can occur with certain camera lenses - particularly if there is a UV filter or additional layer of glass in front of the lens. This type of internal lens reflection tends though to be either displaced vertically or have 'smearing' of the channel.
[/b]

Andrew, Dan,

I'm afraid I can't rule out this possibility. I was using the polarizer, focus manually set @ infinite (correct focus I presume), with the D50 and 18-50 F/2.8 Sigma which is known to produce sometimes chroma aberrations.

Chris

Christophe, I would say, it certainly was a distinct possibility that it was some form of un even light reflection, and/or metering, however, it could have VERY well been, "The ribboning effect", or the twin lightning discharges I should say. Sometimes, the glaring, or vertical implenting with filter occurs if you have 'stacked' them, or put more than one on....so, just leave both possibilities open.

Back