Do you drill?

I have 5 small holes drilled into the back of the cab of my Ranger for the L mount my Diamond SG-7900A is mounted on. A mag mount won't work for a 62" antenna.
I have 4 3/8" holes drillen into the rear bumper for the High Sierra screwdriver antenna. That one is 12.5' fully extended.
I believe the truck had 8 miles on the odomoter when I mounted them, but I'm kinda hardcore when it comes to my hobbies.

I have whacked just about any overhead obstruction you can think of, the antennas still function flawlessly three years later!

I drill, cut, weld, modify, fabricate, and anything else necessary. Of course, my truck is a dedicated vehicle, not the family car (my wife would KILL me).

I move my radios around a lot and change the config so I choose not to drill. I built a rack that holds everything and allows me to change things.

The biggest reason I do not drill for permanent mounting of aerials on the roof is that I photograph lightning. Sometimes, in constant-lightning environments out in the desert especially, I remove all the aerials before doing the photography. In the Plains, usually the aerials stay on the whole time but still, they are long and pointed and sometimes the vehicles are in exposed areas and at least I know I can take them down if I want to...

Back