• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

DJI mini 2

Todd Lemery

Staff member
Supporter
Does anyone here have the DJI mini two? I’m curious how it handles itself in the wind. I have the Mavic pro 2 which I like and I was wondering if I could expect a similar performance from the mini. I see the newer mini has the same 6.2 mile range and the smaller size would make it a little handier for traveling.

I have a dji mini 2 and I have yet to test it on a windy day, but fun to fly around due to its size. I'll do some test this next week with measurements. The devices gps signal does keep the device in its location, when I pushed the device over with my hand it moved back to its gps assigned location automatically.

I was able to do a test here in MS in an open flat field with no trees nearby at 100ft off the ground. Ground speed wind was around 20mph with gusts of 28mph. The drone held it's location with a little shift to the sides but nothing to noticeable or unusable footage. I did see on it's specs that DJI does rate the mini2 for max velocity at 35.8mph in sport mode.

I purchased a Mini 2 (my first drone) almost a year ago and I love it. After flying it off and on through the storm season and for some other projects, here's my 2 cents worth.

I've never taken the controller out of "Normal" mode, so I haven't used "Sport" or "Cine" modes thus far. With more experience, I'll try those modes out.

It does fine in winds less than 20. When it gets up into the 25-30 mph range, it will get buffeted around a bit. I may get an alert on the controller asking me to land or descend. If the winds are above 30-35, I typically don't even bother launching it.

I shot some wheat harvest footage in mid-June and the winds were strong enough above the surface that it was leaning sideways into the wind to keep it level (and yes, the high wind alert feature was squawking).

The drone shoots 1080p and 4K and the video is nice and stable. Pictures look good as well.

Overall, I can't complain. It's been a nice entry-level drone for me to gain experience.

Here's some examples of my work:

Wheat harvest:

June 23, 2022 storm:

June 11, 2022 storm:

Rodney

One thing I picked up on from others, even if it should have been obvious, is when I’m ripping my hair out trying to get a view of a storm where the trees are just not going to cooperate, I can back off and send my drone up for a look. It’s not the same as having the structure right in front of you, but when you have pretty good odds of seeing nothing, at least getting some drone footage makes sense. I’m going to try and remember that for next year.

Back