Discord?

I logged into Discord this morning to see what people are saying about Michael. I don't have that Discord anymore. I don't interact much and I stay nice when I do, so I assume I'm not banned. Did something happen?

I logged into Discord this morning to see what people are saying about Michael. I don't have that Discord anymore. I don't interact much and I stay nice when I do, so I assume I'm not banned. Did something happen?

I saw yesterday they I’m not in the discord server anymore. Do we know what happened yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Stormtrack

There could have been issues earlier but it seems to be working just fine now as I just tested it. Look for the thread “Hurricane Michael” in the Tropical Discussion section.

Seems like I was booted out of the discord as well, or I can't access it as it doesn't show up in the list of servers. I'm mostly a lurker there, so other than house cleaning I'm unsure as to why some aren't able to view it

I have not been able to access the Stormtrack server at Discord either. When attempting to use the instant invite page the message "It appears that the invite to Stormtrack is no longer valid or expired".

We closed down all of the invite links because the quality of conversation had diminished substantially over the previous month or two. The Discord is now invite-only, unfortunately. Also in this process, we deleted inactive accounts, as well as problem accounts. It was the best way to remove the noise.
You may apply for membership here.

I see, Steve. This is a rather unfortunate turn of events for those who consistently browsed the discord for information without adding to conversation, but that is understandable as Discord has no way to show active opening/viewing of the server as opposed to just message activity. On the other hand, I noticed one of my friends in the server who also posts the same amount as I did was still online. What was the criteria for staying in?

The reapplication to the discord seems far stricter and less friendly to enthusiasts, as chase images are a required part. To me, these seems slightly counterintuitive to having the more learning based channels in the discord, such as the academy and instrument channels. If these were deleted in the shifting of things, or chase images are NOT required on the application, then I would understand. But for those including myself who used the Stormtrack discord for information and updates, will we not be able to join?

Great feedback and questions.
The reason we have had to sweep accounts is that we accomplished well over 1000 members and had a daily active count of only 150. That's a lot of lurkers and accounts that would just sit there and do nothing for months on end. Crowdsourcing content as this forum does and the discord is a give and take prospect. We need 30% participation at a minimum to be a viable source of information. Lurker/non-contributors are not our demographic, nor the target demographic of any forum. I'm sure you understand.

That said, I do not see us doing another purge once we have the place cleaned up. Again, unfortunately, the actions of a few ruined a good thing for many. Once we have it fully cleaned up (tonight), you can expect to join up and remain on the server for as long as you wish. There will be no further mass account purge.

I'll adjust the chaser URL submission requirement. You're right, that's a little strict.

Wow! I just wanted to log in to see what was happening with Michael and see what the experts were saying when I couldn't find the Discord anymore. I understand what you are saying. I am not a chaser, but I have applied to join.

Hey, Mike. Yeah, it was time to take some more extreme action there. It'll be a bit of a touchy subject for a few days, I suspect.
Did get your app and you'll be back in biz in a few if not already.

Thanks Steve. I saw the new app being discussed but didn’t realize it meant out with the old and in with the new.

I have also been a lurker, adding to the conversation from time to time. I've sent my application in and hope to be re-added. I will definitely participate much more now if accepted, as I really enjoyed the discussions.

Back