• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Deep Weather - NOAA Forecast Discussions for iOS

Steve Miller

Owner Emeritus
Staff member
Supporter
Came across this little gem:
Deep Weather automatically compiles an easy-to-read version of the most recent National Weather Service Forecast Discussion, advisories and warnings for your location. Just launch the app, and it takes care of everything for you. You can also use the map view to select any National Weather Service Forecast Office and receive the latest forecast discussion for that area.
The discussion is broken up into sections for you, and the text itself formatted in a much more easily read format than the raw original.The National Weather Service Forecast Discussions provide detailed information and background about the weather patterns and observations that are part of the most recent forecast model.
These discussions are amended and updated several times per day, so you can follow how the weather forecast is changing in real time, as well as gain a deeper understanding of the thought that goes into forming the forecast.Note: The Forecast discussion text from the National Weather Service is often abbreviated, and is usually in all capital letters. While we do what we can to improve the format of the raw text, we don't modify the original text.

In-App purchase for $1.99 removes ads and allows users to set a home area.

Download for iOS here.

I like the premise but don't like that it doesn't offer the option to just show me the who AFD at once. My WFO often does just 1-2 sentences per segment so it's just a little awkward to keep hitting buttons. But I like the interactive display (and the iPad horizontal support!)

I also don't like that it adds a linefeed with every period even when it doesn't end the "line" on the product so that makes it even longer. I just sent the developer a note.

Back