Data Stops

Tornado Alley WiFi hotspot directory?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by David Drummond
I honestly don't think we are going to see a widespread lockdown on the motel ones, just because the average person isn't all the bright about how to setup the password to get in to a locked one.

Lots of State Farm offices have open wifi as well, even in small towns

Dave, interesting.Im on the not so bright side.. maybe you could PM me with the techniques used to crack these?

I use Best Westerns everywhere I go for Wifi. Never once had a problem with any of the employees, they usually just come out to see what you are doing. If they ask what I'm doing, I say, "No comprende." Iowa rest stops are free I found out on July 25th. You can usually connect ot Amerisuites also.

I have had pretty good luck with Holiday Inns and Hampton Inns. The Hampton is locked usually (although there is definitely a pattern in their WEP keys, involving the state abbreviation and a 3-letter code for the city you are in), but most locations are willing to give you the password if you ask and will let you sit in the lobby on the couch. As long as you are being polite, they seem to have no problem. In the southern plains, people are more weather-savvy and it seems like they are more tolerant of chasers using their systems (like everything, though, there are notable exceptions).

Most hotels that use passwords change them every week.

IMO asking a hotel for permission is going to go better for chasers in the long run. A bunch of chase vehicles pulling up to the front of the hotel and flipping open laptops for 30 minutes without asking might not bode well for their cooperation with us in the future. I would even go so far as to offer them a couple of dollars in exchange for the service if they didn't seem receptive at first. Having that data without having to drive around looking for it is much easier, and is, to me, worth a few bucks a day during a chase vacation.

Between hotels and libraries, you've got a pretty decent and *legit* pre-chase data aquisition system across the Plains. If you go to the front desk and explain what you are doing and why you are in need of their internet connection, they are usually excited to be a part of your possible chase success.

In fact, one idea I might try this year is having a bunch of 8x10s of tornadoes printed up just to give to the places that help me out with WIFI on a chase day.

I voted that I would use it and contribute to it.

While I agree you can pull off just about anywhere and find access via a commerical location, or even in residential areas, I think that a list in a delorme overlay, or MS Streets and Trips file would be very useful. I usually take a few hours and input all of the addresses into delorme as a flag or dot, and then I always know where I can go... and let's face it, there are times when you are pinced for time, and knowing exactly where you are and where the next data stop is (if you're using gps with above mapping programs) can really help out in a tight situation.

Originally posted by fplowman+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fplowman)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond
I honestly don't think we are going to see a widespread lockdown on the motel ones, just because the average person isn't all the bright about how to setup the password to get in to a locked one.

Lots of State Farm offices have open wifi as well, even in small towns

Dave, interesting.Im on the not so bright side.. maybe you could PM me with the techniques used to crack these?[/b]

You don't crack them. Leave the locked ones alone unless they give you the "keys". All the one's I am talking about are wide open.

Originally posted by Dan Robinson
Having that data without having to drive around looking for it is much easier, and is, to me, worth a few bucks a day during a chase vacation.

Reminds me of a time not all that long ago when I used to talk the Allsups clerks into letting me use their telephone line to dial up a quick connection.

I've honestly never had anyone ask me any questions or even give me a quizical look when I've used a connection.. but then again I generally don't need to park up close to any buildings due to the high-power card and antenna that I use. I can usually park "next door" or on the street and get a great signal.

I don't have a problem using these services, after all if they wanted to restict their usage they would lock them down.

I do use the following guidelines though:

-no residential systems - these folks may not realize that they are "sharing"
-if it's a truck stop or similar location, I'll be sure to either buy gas, food or other items.
-I only use what I need - if there's no action I would only use the connection for sending an e-mail or similar activity.
-If nothing free is available, use the above suggestions and simply ask or pay for one of the closed systems if there is any.

Originally posted by David Drummond
Have you found a lot of the BW locked down Bob?

I don't even have WiFi yet. I've never owned a card. I've used my satellite phone, cellphone, libraries, and nowcasters for all my data acquisition since 2001. I am currently sitting here with an ear pointed to the front door for UPS to arrive today with my first WiFi card, a used Orinoco with external antenna (from Rokland).

I decided on a semi-overhaul of my data acquisition regimen for this year due to no longer being able to use my sat phone in cell phone mode (long story) and the abundance of hotspots that now exists.

Off-topic, but want to let ya'll know that I got "the phone call" from the Red Cross Monday. Floss and I are (probably) going back to the NOLA area to distribute food from March 5 to March 19!! I can't wait!! Might miss a storm or two, but that's OK.

Bob

Back