Cool storm 9/19/05

Well, what a treat I got this evening. Despite the severe weather firing off well to my south, this little beauty popped up on the coldfront in NE Illinois. The precip core was tight and intense as it turned right, and made a beeline right for me in Hoffman Estates, IL. I took some pics and vidcaps. It is my first real storm footage. It's not the best, but it's something. The thing died out quickly as it approached. From an electrically charged Cb to lightly precipitating fractocumulus in a matter of minutes. Radar signature: 65 dB to ground clutter in 10 min. :shock:

images and vidcaps:

100_0083.jpg

100_0082.jpg

100_0084.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0085a.jpg

cool, huh?

Awesome pics! I hate it when the storms die as they approach, takes all the fun away. I had that happen to me a few nights ago, anyways, cool stuff.

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
Quite cool, sir. I wish someone would have pictures of the tornado in IL, as well. I really like the first sky shot of yours.

Yeah, that was mammatus streaming northward from the severe weather to the south, I should have got one a little later as the mammatus was illuminated from underneath by the setting sun. I thought it was a nice ending to my vacation. It's back to Iraq tomorrow. :wink:

Back