Confusing cell phone cards

Anyone here use prepaid cell phone cards? I must be showing my age.

I have a cell phone, which used to work with AT&T, and I closed the account last year.

Last month I saw a "prepaid cell phone card" at AutoZone and decided to pick one up. But following the instructions AT&T asks me for my phone #. I don't have one, much less remember what the old number was!

Any idea what is going on? I thought this would give me disposable service with no contract. It seems stupid to enter into a contract for cell service just to use a disposable/refill card.

Tim

My wife had a pre-paid AT&T cell phone. When her credit card bill came the next month for the pre paid time she purchased, it showed a bill of$799.00. She had only purchased $20.00 worth of time. We had a hell of a time getting this cleared up. AT&T claimed they do not allow time purchases of more than $100.00, so it could not have been charged by them. The statement showed it was them, and Visa said the charge came from the AT&T billing center. Needless to say, my wife has not used the phone since.

I don't get it... why does AT&T have access to the Visa card? Isn't the whole point of prepaid service so that you can pay with cash and as much as you want?

I agree though, AT&T is an awful company. I had a hell of a time moving our 1-800 phone line from them last year... they kept leaving the account open and billing us after I repeatedly tried to close the account.

Tim

Does ATT have...

Does ATT have a prepaid minutes package? They are usually over-priced but Verizon has that exact same service...

I've never tried it, but it usually gets advertised before the beginning of school.... probably to sad mom's, who are "losing their babies" to college.

Shawn

Re: Does ATT have...

Does ATT have a prepaid minutes package? They are usually over-priced but Verizon has that exact same service...

I've never tried it, but it usually gets advertised before the beginning of school.... probably to sad mom's, who are "losing their babies" to college.

Shawn

They've got Free2Go wireless prepaid.

You can buy a phone card, but you can also call an 800 number and simply put more time on the phone with a credit card. My wife learned the hard way, stick to the phone card.

Sorry going way off topic here - but why does VISA simply not reverse the transaction and inform AT&T to provide written evidence that your wife sanctioned the transaction.

It sounds like a police investigation is required here - you can not just deduct hundreds of $ on a credit card and expect ot get away with it - no matter how big the company is.

I would fight this :)

Stu the situation was corrected, it was a lot of hassel to put up with to make it right. I think Tim mentioned in an earlier post that At&T had given him some problems in the past. They are not very customer friendly, and if there was an alternative, I think I would try that first.

Back