Cold Air reserves running Low.

Andrew Sorce

The latest long range forecasts (+10 days) show an amazing majority of Canada with relatively mild air. It appears that are pattern change towards a +PNA will wipe out virtually all of the arctic air in North America. I'd like to learn more about how long it takes to recharge these source regions and exactly how the artic air masses and polar vortexes work. Not looking good for us skiers/boarders out east, thats for sure. Anyone knowledgeable in these areas?

Just keep an eye on those serious Siberian Highs of Northern Russia, and that would be the source region you are looking for.
I just heard on the news that Siberian bears cannot hibernate because of warmness. However, there are areas with -30°C temperatures though. Almost 3 weeks ago, snow melt here because "cold air reserves ran out" already. It is still 40's and what I saw from NOAA ARL, it looks like we're going to have Christmas without snow... I wish the forecast would change. And that kind of things(snowless Christmas) aren't supposed to happen at my latitude. Wondering if El Nińo could cause this huge warmness? European Ski resorts are postponing their seasons, it is hard to have skiing competitions already and United Kingdom got hit by very strong storm with wind gusts to 99 mph past weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back