Choosing camera (or rather lens) for this season's chase

I am not sure if this is interesting/relevant information to you but in case someone is following the same path as I have, I will conclude my thoughts.

After a visit to the camera shop (Scandinavian Photo in Sweden) and an extremely helpful salesman he actually convinced me to go with the old Canon 6D mark i instead of mark ii - which they only sold as used. The reason for this was that althought mark ii had some technical upgrades (a flip screen) it has a problem with the dynamic range and ISO above 3200 to the point of being worse than the mark i. I also ended up saving $1.000 on this - although I will miss the flip screen.

In addition, he suggested that I would go with a used 16-35mm ($1.000) instead of buying a new fixed 16 or 20mm wide angle lens. Basically because the used one was equally good to the fixed ones but I also get the flexibility. I may end up with a fixed one as there was some uncertainty of that particular lens still being in stock.

I will continue to use my Canon 760 mainly for video and more zoomed in shots and the 6D for wide angle shots. Much because my "work horse" 18-135mm won't fit on my 6D. I will try out my 50mm and 70-300mm with the 6D and see how useful they will be in chase situations.

A whole different thing is how to actually photograph the storms in the end - there are a lot of improvement that can be done here. I believe I have an old thread about that here on StormTrack that could be revived.

Thanks, once again, everyone for your help!

Back