Chasers living on the extreme

Originally posted by Dave Chapman
Road choices were almost non-existent. The only east paved road choice was a dead-end into dirt roads (at least on Delorme.

That is one the big drawbacks to GPS. I have SA2004 and my partner 2005 and neither of our programs showed a paved road east but good ol' Roads of Texas had a nice FM road about 1 mile north of South Plains that went east all the way to just south of Quitaque which is the road we worked as the tornado passed just to our south. We were able to stay just ahead of the main rotation and miss all the hail but we were lucky and had approched the storm from this direction and knew we had an escape route. we did get hit with the RFD as it wrapped around but were driving east rapidly as we did so no real danger of getting caught in the hook.

I have noticed that the LBB NWS reports this as only 1 tornado but I can say for sure there were at least 2 seperate good size tornados.

EDIT*** I did forget to mention that a local from Quitaque first pointed out that road to us or we would have never have even looked for it and probably would have missed the tornado by not being there in time. it saved us probably 10-15 minutes off the route we had planned and we got to the intersection north of South Plains 2-3 minutes before it dropped. talk about perfect timing :)... Sometimes I would rather be lucky

Originally posted by Jay McCoy

I have noticed that the LBB NWS reports this as only 1 tornado but I can say for sure there were at least 2 seperate good size tornados.

Jay's right. LBB has it all as one tornado from 6:15-6:30pm, but the first tornado only lasted 8-9 minutes. The second one (that we saw) formed about a half-mile east of the old one, beginning as a wide, weak circulation, the northern edge of which formed north of the road and was drawn southward into the more active, center of the rotation (south of the road). It was a dusty stovepipe once it matured. The first tornado reminded me of the large Happy, TX tornado visually. Both were rated F2 as well.

I have to agree with Jay. My wife and I have chased several storms where paper maps saved us from some serious problems. I chased with a friend last year who used a popular GPS system and he was confined to roads listed on the computer mapping. There were many situations where an unlisted short-cut saved us a 10-20 route. I do think GPS used with storm positioning is good for safety and routing.

Mike

Jay-

Older editions of Roads of Texas (mine is 1999) and Delorme Texas Atlas and Gazetteer (1995) show a dead-end to dirt roads. I had double-checked Delorme's paper map for road choices, but that obviously didn't help.

Time to buy some new maps.

Dave

Chasers living the extreme

I myself am a storm chaser not a tornado chaser, I am fascinated by all forms of severe weather including large hail; to me a large hail event can be just as awsome as catching a brief tornado and in the 7 years I have been chasing I have never lost a single window (guess I'm lucky so far :)).
I always inform people who chase with me that we will probably run into large hail (by people I mean my girlfriend,my other part time chase partner and occasionally another chaser) so they can make any decisions with regards if they still want to ride with me or not. I almost always pull over well off the highway during hail events so I can get good footage, reduce the impact to my windshield etc. and stay out of the way of traffic. Safety is a #1 priority for me. Also I phone in my reports to the local NWS so they can know what size and how ferocious any hail event is. I believe if you "know what your doing" and act in a safe and courtieous manner it shouldn't matter if your shooting video of a tornado or of a magnificent hail storm. I accept and have the burden of responsibility if for any reason I do get hurt while chasing tornados or hail.

Originally posted by Jay McCoy
So, if this is an issue with some of you, then why not send your corrective report to the LBB WFO? Afterall, how else are they going to know there was a second tornado unless a spotter/chaser report was available?

Originally posted by Greg Stumpf
So, if this is an issue with some of you, then why not send your corrective report to the LBB WFO? Afterall, how else are they going to know there was a second tornado unless a spotter/chaser report was available?

I'm sending a video to LBB, of course. Like I always do.

I don't believe anyone had an "issue" with LBB's initial reports, we simply mentioned it was incorrect in casual conversation.

Originally posted by Shane Adams+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane Adams)</div>
I'm sending a video to LBB, of course. Like I always do.[/b]
Cool.
<!--QuoteBegin-Shane Adams

I don't believe anyone had an \"issue\" with LBB's initial reports, we simply mentioned it was incorrect in casual conversation.
Yea, perhaps I was being a bit crass here. My apologies. (I'd seen this before - folks complaining about inconsistencies between official surveys and what they observed, without trying to take some collaborative corrective action.) I'm glad you are offering your video, as it will certainly help. Did anyone take good logs too (with GPS and digital stills/video synching)?

We watched the whole thing unfold from 1 mile south of South Plains at the intersection of 207 and FM 2286. We didn't even see the tornado until it was almost on South Plains because of the extremely low contrast from that angle and attendant meaty hook.

With our position we had [purposefully] stayed south and east of the PRECIP (as much as possible), not just hail - since 80% of the roads in that area are unpaved and we didn't want to be left with a wet clay road as our only east escape route. We knew a BUNCH of folks were up on 207 right in the path since we had seen the huge caravans only 20 minutes before as we observed the "first" of the two cells. When we saw the footage from NE of the meso, we were a bit frustrated - it looked like a totally different tornado, and a much more stellar one at that! Through the siren song of high quality video, I began questioning my chase tactics and positioning ideals. I learned in my chase upbringing to always be East or SE of the meso, certainly not N. All weekend I questioned if that a bogus assumption, and if I needed to be where many others were.

However, after seeing all the reports of the aftermath of those north of the tornado and going back to the site and assessing where we were in relation to paved road options and damage paths (we live in LBB, so it's not far), I feel much better and feel that we played it nicely. In surveying the damage, there was a secondary area of power poles down, assumingly due to the RFD, but it was only about 0.5 miles south of the torando path, and still north of the town of South Plains. In retrospect the only thing I would have done differently is gone to the south "city limit" of South Plains and watched from there, 0.7 miles from the tornado rather than 1.7. In response to a previous post, we weren't quite "5 miles" SE of the tornado, but far enough to perhaps be considered overly cautious which I believe was the spirit of the remark. We saw the tornado, had a good escape route, kept our windshield, and were able to continue on to see the storms down by Lubbock on our way home and not have to contact the Gecko the next morning. In addition, our slightly greater distance acted as a cushion that accounted for any unexpected deviations in storm or tornado track. So I think fun can be had while hedging on the side of what some may consider unneccesary caution.

Just my 2 cents, I'm glad everyone was mosty okay and did such a good job of avoiding the torando's path once they realized they were pinned north.

You make the call...given an HP supercell, and the potential for very extreme hail (very high CAPEs and not too high melting levels), do you drive up into the "notch" to see the tornado with the best contrast, or stay south of the fat hook ball and risk some obscuration by precip. Add to that, limited-to-no escape routes out of the notch.

Did anyone have access to high-res radar imagery like this? Question, how did the storm look at the same time on low-res smoothed ThreatNet?

Again, remember, I was not there, so I don't know what the entire sky looked like.

5d84c7ba10a256b987f83e35f50b7a96.png

Greg, what an excellent and amazing and highly confusing radar image. That explains to me why things were so hard to discern from our position, and why it appeared that there were strange things going on just west of where the tornado ended up being that further complicated an in-field assessment from the southern vantage point.

What software package is that in the image?

Originally posted by Kevin Walter
Greg, what an excellent and amazing and highly confusing radar image. That explains to me why things were so hard to discern from our position, and why it appeared that there were strange things going on just west of where the tornado ended up being that further complicated an in-field assessment from the southern vantage point.

What software package is that in the image?

I am wondering that same thing. I wouldn't mind giving that software package a try. Looks pretty good and I like the level of it.

I'll let Greg explain more if necessary, but the program is Weather Decision Support System-Integrated Information (WDSS-II). It is currently being developed at NSSL.

You make the call...given an HP supercell, and the potential for very extreme hail (very high CAPEs and not too high melting levels), do you drive up into the \"notch\" to see the tornado with the best contrast, or stay south of the fat hook ball and risk some obscuration by precip. Add to that, limited-to-no escape routes out of the notch.

Did anyone have access to high-res radar imagery like this? Question, how did the storm look at the same time on low-res smoothed ThreatNet?

Again, remember, I was not there, so I don't know what the entire sky looked like.

I guess I just wasn't concerned about hail. I knew exactly what I was doing, I just wanted a cool shot of the tornado. We were driving south when the tornado developed about a mile WSW of us. To get south of it, we'd have had to drive five or so miles (to avoid tornado path and severe RFD). With the circus of chasers all around, no one was driving faster than 40mph or so. At that pace, we'd have wasted the entire torndo life driving - I'm not a fan of moving video if I can avoid it. So quite honestly, the reason I stayed north of the tornado was because we were already there, and I wanted video from a set location. We could've easily gone east where we eventually stopped, because the tornado stayed south of the road for the entire time we were close to it. Hindsight is 20/20. Next time I find myself in that position, I'll stay closer to the tornado's rearflank...we were perfectly safe there because there was no hail and minimal RFD windage. We only stopped when we saw the new tornado cyclone developing due east of us...but this eventually developed south and stayed south of the road.

I spent a few days analyzing it over and over in my head, searching for the "what went wrong" reason. Eventually I realized "sh*t happens."

do you drive up into the \"notch\" to see the tornado with the best contrast, or stay south of the fat hook ball and risk some obscuration by precip.

Just to clarify, I don't know anyone that drove UP from the south. Everyone had been farthur north observing other wall clouds/ tornados to the west and southwest and were travelling DOWN toward the south when we were cut off by the new meso/tornado that jutted quickly eastward over the highway that had been previously a clear southern eascape route. I tried getting south immediately after the tornado crossed but was greeted by low hanging power lines over the highway that I was not going to test to see if they were still live. I saw others go through the grass on the east side of the highway and would be interested to know if they made it south and avoided the hail.

I haven't looked at a radar loop from the period, but I'd imagine there was nothing along the highway south to South Plains until the hook moved eastward, and that happened much more rapidly than the eastward storm motion that we were all keeping pace with.

Back