Chasers and Scientists: Suggestions for Working Together

EDIT: Mods, can someone change the title to "Chasers and Scientists: Suggestions for Working Together". I didn't intend for the title I used to sound so "know-it-all-ish" like it does.

In another thread I was asked my thoughts on how chasers and scientists can work together. Here are a couple of my initial ideas and then an opportunity.

1. One of the things I'm currently working on has more to do with the forecast people would do before the chase, but is important nonetheless. In the coming weeks (sometime in July I hope), we hope to launch a new NSSL WRF webpage with some new graphics and products. We will also include some survey questions to help get feedback about how the NSSL WRF is doing and what people think of the new products. Please take a look at these new products and give your feedback. It will help us develop new visualization techniques and improve the quality of the model.

2. If you have a mobile mesonet strapped to your car, please consider sharing this data with your local NWS office. Ideally, spotter network would find a way to include your mobile mesonet data with the position icon. This information is absolutely invaluable in the warning decision process. Being able to see the ground circulation of the mesocyclone, seeing the outflow surge ahead of the storm, etc is incredibly useful in realtime operations.

3. After a chase in which you see some really interesting features, please document it to the best of your ability. Then send this to someone in the research community and/or operational community. If nothing else, send it to me. We never know when something like this can come in handy.

4. Same with interesting video. A picture is worth a thousand words.

5. Sharing mobile mesonet data after the fact can be extremely beneficial. I'm currently working on a study of the 1 May 2010 High Risk tornado bust. I'd love to have high resolution (spatial and temporal) mobile mesonet data from AR on this day. The key here is to put all this information into a single repository so that someone who is interested in doing a study knows where to find it.

6. If you see something interesting don't be afraid to contact someone and let them know. If for no other reason, let me know and I'll try to put you in contact with someone who is involved with studying that phenomenon. Be willing to work with the scientist or local NWS office in investigating the phenomenon. You never know if a conference paper or something of the sort will result. We never know when or where the next great discovery will be made. It could be what you did/saw/etc.

With all this said, he is an opportunity. Even though VORTEX 2 is officially over, the SMART radars were out today collecting data on the supercells that moved near Concordia, Kansas. This data collection was not part of VORTEX 2 and therefore did not include any mobile mesonet data - only radar data. If you or anyone you know was chasing this storm, we'd be interested in hearing your accounts of what you saw. We would also be interested in any video and/or mobile mesonet data that people might have collected and would be willing to share.

By no means is this list exhaustive. Nor am I foolish enough to think I am the first to suggest these things. I don't pretend to have thought all of this up. What I am willing to do is act as a liaison/intermediary to help put people in contact with one another.

Feel free to contact me at my email address: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Patrick, thanks for starting the thread. I think this is how we become productive, and get folks talking positively rather than focus on the few silly negatives.

This is just a quick hit-and-run visit on ST, but did want to quickly add that discussions of the mobile mesonet for science has been discussed here and is certainly worthy of a revisit (I'll let someone else look for and link that thread). I think that in it self is a big additional help to scientists, but the equipment used and calibration, etc. would need to be discussed in detail and eventually a "how to" provided for those willing to contribute outside of any specific project.

Patrick, thanks for starting the thread. I think this is how we become productive, and get folks talking positively rather than focus on the few silly negatives.

This is just a quick hit-and-run visit on ST, but did want to quickly add that discussions of the mobile mesonet for science has been discussed here and is certainly worthy of a revisit (I'll let someone else look for and link that thread). I think that in it self is a big additional help to scientists, but the equipment used and calibration, etc. would need to be discussed in detail and eventually a "how to" provided for those willing to contribute outside of any specific project.

Is this the thread you're referring to? http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22304

I had stumbled onto that a few weeks ago and thought it was a good idea, but it was before my time on Stormtrack so I don't know if anything ever came of it? Perhaps Tyler can chime in.

I compliment you for the effort and I think it's worth it. If you ever pull this off I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to get through all the data, but that's fine. I do think it would be much easier if we could e-mail our reports to the NWS than have to call the 1-800 numbers to report severe weather. When I'm chasing, I don't have the time to report immediately, although if I'm the ONLY person on a storm I probably should make the effort. I've also found that some NWS offices don't WANT the reports or are skeptical of reports, especially if they are not torando warned. I had one NWS employee tell me: "We don't include it as a tornado unless we have damage." I swear, he said that. I have a lot of photos that I've taken in remote locations which were not tornado warned that would provide great studies. To me, if we're really going to get down to how tornadoes form, the answer may not lie in studying EF5s but with EF0s.. That where the basics start.. It starts on a small scale not on a large scale. If you can actually see convergence and stretching then you are accomplishing something. Large tornadoes actually teach us less than small tornadoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its simple, team up the scientists who don't have chasing experience with chasers who have experience, a resume but don't have all the fancy scientific equipment.

No need to have armadas of engineers, mechanics, film crews, photographers, medics as well as cars full of students just coming out of college. None of whom are actual chasers or have chase experience.

Im pretty sure this board is littered with a bunch of seasoned chasers who would love to contribute to advancing science [myself included.]

I think there HAS to be some kind of future data link between chasers (those who want to participate) and the scientific / NWS community.

Some of the scientific brains can correct me here, but I've always wondered, what if VORTEX2 makes some unique storm scale discovery that relates to shorter and more accurate warning times. For example: a certain RFD, inflow, direction, speed, temp., etc., combination relates to tornadogenesis 90 percent of the time. This is great, but without a mesonet covering every 1-5 miles, which will never happen, such knowledge would be useless. The only surface data resource would be chasers. I envision some type of instrument pack that could be calibrated via a GPS / Laptop link with the data distributed to local NWS offices. I remember in the not-so-long-ago, NWS offices (like LBB) would request specific surface data from spotters.

W.

I think its simple, team up the scientists who don't have chasing experience with chasers who have experience, a resume but don't have all the fancy scientific equipment.

No need to have armadas of engineers, mechanics, film crews, photographers, medics as well as cars full of students just coming out of college. None of whom are actual chasers or have chase experience.

Im pretty sure this board is littered with a bunch of seasoned chasers who would love to contribute to advancing science [myself included.]

Amen Adam! Thats a great Idea. Here's another chaser who is more than willing to help.

Is this the thread you're referring to? http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22304

I had stumbled onto that a few weeks ago and thought it was a good idea, but it was before my time on Stormtrack so I don't know if anything ever came of it? Perhaps Tyler can chime in.

On hold until I have more time. I work a day job plus AllisonHouse plus Spotter Network. Not enough hours in the day :)

It could absolutely happen, I have most of the major details worked out thanks to some great conversations with some well known research scientists...just need someone to spear head the effort. I'm happy to be that person, as soon as I can find the time :)

It's this kind of working together with research folks and operations folks (both can use mobile mesonet data, just differently) that would really make a difference.

argh! Anybody have $100,000 they can donate (or write a grant for)?

-Tyler

"...argh! Anybody have $100,000 they can donate (or write a grant for)?...

-Tyler
Maybe the reason to ask Uncle Sam for a grant. After all, it would take advantage of chasers for the purpose of V2. Maybe you can bargain with them a bit - eh Tyler?

rdale: Bummer about the eSpotter program (I'm presently on-board with that). How did you find that out?

On hold until I have more time. I work a day job plus AllisonHouse plus Spotter Network. Not enough hours in the day :)

It could absolutely happen, I have most of the major details worked out thanks to some great conversations with some well known research scientists...just need someone to spear head the effort. I'm happy to be that person, as soon as I can find the time :)

It's this kind of working together with research folks and operations folks (both can use mobile mesonet data, just differently) that would really make a difference.

-Tyler

What about getting people who already have mobile mesonets display their data in realtime using the SN icons and interface? I did this with the mobile mesonets for V2 and it was amazingly helpful. I can provide some code if you need/want it.

-Tyler

I can get you one of those wall clocks that have 27 hours in them. That would give you 3 more hours per day! :)

I know in that other thread you had mentioned that it would be preferable to standardize the equipment across those who participate, but it could be a useful addition to SN "in the now" to allow it to interface with any mobile mesonet someone might have, basically what Patrick said.

Back