Chase Reports

Should there be some kind of criteria introduced for chase reports to meet?

Recently (and especially this year where there's been very little of worth to chase for many), I have noticed a glut of "non-chase" reports.

Should people really post a chase report to say they saw nothing? Is this not needless clippings from the chaser's cutting-room floor?

Seeing as spotters only need relay reports of SEVERE WX to the NWS and the NWS only WARNS on SEVERE WX - perhaps the board should introduce criteria for chase reports to meet? Like chase reports are only considered valid if they involve SEVERE WX?

Otherwise - it's more of a personal travel journal including a list of good restaurants to stop off at.

Just a thought.

K.

IMO, this question gets to one of the critical points of difference between different members of the storm chasing community. (Is it about chasers or is it about storms?)

Somebody having a bust day, or even making a bad forecast decision is "their chase day". If that person's stormchasing activities (even bad ones) are considered interesting (report worthy), then why not let them post such things? Reports on restaurants and hotels are important to the general chase community.

However, I tend to be very uninterested in the happenings of storm chasers, but rather interested in the happenings of the weather. So, posting reports that you saw nothing, or watched it on TV are probably posts that IMO are appropriate for the discussion areas of the forum rather than "reports".

I think there is another reason why it is quite all right to post reports on chases where you don't see anything of interest. Lots of potential chasers surf into these pages, and if we only post about our successful chases they will think that chasing consists of running out and seeing interesting severe weather, maybe even tornadoes, every time. Of course we all know that is not true, but there are a lot of non-chasers, would-be chasers, and possible future chasers who see these reports. I think it is better for them to see that a lot of the time, you mess up and see nothing - that is part of the reality of chasing.

Now I wil admit that I don't always totally practice what I preach, and that there are times when I see nothing and post nothing. :blink: But I have also made posts at times like "bust chase today for me" and I don't think there is anything wrong with that - it gives others a better picture of what the realities of chasing are about.

Perhaps we could come up with another heading for this such as:

5/20/06 BUSTS: NE/KS/MO

..just kidding :D

On second thought it might work.., or perhaps we should use DISC to mention busts instead of REPORTS.

Keep the board chaser oriented, not storm oriented... we should be able to post our CHASE (notice I didn't say storm?) reports no matter the outcome.

Keep the board chaser oriented, not storm oriented...
[/b]

As far as I can see, a CHASE-oriented board would concentrate on worthwhile chaseable weather......if it were STORM-oriented - it would deal with every single non-severe storm out there.

K.

I think it would be ok to leave it as is because they way I see it is, a chase report is a chase report. We don't call it storm reports. I think it's interesting to see the outcome of people's chases, to see what formed where and what areas got left high and dry, etc.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? I don't see too many posting busted chase reports anyway.

Would not a result of not posting a catch or a "GOOD" chase be.. nothing posted at all as a report on a bust day?

If it was a "GOOD" day and I was 50 miles to the south of the "GOOD" or producing storm would i then be prohibited in posting my report due to my lack of success?

Why is there a constant desire to micro manage users posts? i realize some management is ok to keep signal to noise ratio low.. However sometimes i feel that the desire of some is to go too far the other way of the issue.. Just my opinion.

Fred

My opinion: Only legitimate chase reports for storms/setups you would go after regardless of where it is inlocation. In otherwards, no chase reports about how you went outside and checked out the non-severe or non-supercell in your backyard... around town etc. The safe way of course is to make sure a NOW/FCST thread was created for the setup (with your area). There are always the outliers, but honestly... who cares about the rain/lightning you got from a pulse storm in FL while others were out chasing supercells in TX ;)

Aaron

My opinion: Only legitimate chase reports for storms/setups you would go after regardless of where it is inlocation. In otherwards, no chase reports about how you went outside and checked out the non-severe or non-supercell in your backyard... around town etc. The safe way of course is to make sure a NOW/FCST thread was created for the setup (with your area). There are always the outliers, but honestly... who cares about the rain/lightning you got from a pulse storm in FL while others were out chasing supercells in TX ;)

Aaron
[/b]

I agree.. I can appreciate the fact that someone looking out the backdoor fo their house eating a sandwich reporting on some thunder and lightning is not a chase report..

Fred

Well, I am just shocked by the numerous people that I've seen on here for the past few years that write these 2-3 paragraph long "reports" with such enthusiasm on bust days. I guess when I drive a thousand miles and end up seeing a non-active convective cloud 50 miles to the east which gets sheared apart, and end up dining on candy bars and fanta at Fred's All Night G-69 Gas & More in Cornholio, MO -- I am not particularly pleased with the day and do not care to write such long ass paragraphs about me seeing nothing.

Bizarre...

Guess some people just can't handle it...

I like reading both chase reports and bust reports... there can be a good lesson taught from each. Since it is technically a chase, why can't people report on it?

People like Nick simply don't have to report or read the threads/posts... People like me can report it or read it... It's really not that complicated, lol. Then again, I guess we need rules for rules, and then more rules on top of those rules. And that, folks, is even more bizarre than someone wanting to post ;)

Guess some people just can't handle it...

I like reading both chase reports and bust reports... there can be a good lesson taught from each. Since it is technically a chase, why can't people report on it?

People like Nick simply don't have to report or read the threads/posts... People like me can report it or read it... It's really not that complicated, lol. Then again, I guess we need rules for rules, and then more rules on top of those rules. And that, folks, is even more bizarre than someone wanting to post ;)
[/b]

My thoughts exactly. Feel free to delete this useless post. :lol:

Gabe

I went and deleted my bust post on the chase report from 5/24/06, as I re-read it, it didnt say much.

Now Im trying to figure out.......should I delete this post??? :D

Back