Canon VIXIA HF S21 Camcorder, thoughts?

DRMabe

EF1
What can you guys tell me about the Canon VIXIA HF S21? I've pretty much narrowed it down to a couple of models. Checked Youtube for "sample" video.....but you don't always get the best idea of what the camera can do. On there you see people just wildly waving the camera around doing a "review". I'd like to see samples, including low light footage if possible. Also want to hear your thoughts, pros, cons, etc if you own or have used the camera.

I have a 7D I can use for "controlled" high quality video.....but as you guys know, in the field you don't always have time to tinker with settings or manual focus.

Also looking at the Panasonic HDC-TM900

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out camcorders on that review site you mentioned. The Panasonic seemed to be the better option, and beat the Canon in almost every category. Showed to be the "best camcorder" out of everything in HD under $1300. I ordered it today. I like Canon, and own 2 Canon DSLR cameras (XSi and 7D). Couldn't be happier with them. But as for camcorders, seems the Panasonic won in all the reviews I could find, I guess I'll find out Wednesday when it gets here. Hopefully I can get used to it quick and be ready for some more severe weather!

I hope you end up liking the Panny as I know a lot of members here have owned that brand in the past and they seem to have a solid reputation. Camcorderinfo.com is a good site for information, in fact I think Mike H. was the first person who turned me on to it 3 or 4 years back. They seem to always have comprehensive reviews on every model under the sun from what I've noticed. Let us know how you like it after you've tested it out!

If you are willing to go up to $2000, then i would recommend checking out the Canon XA10 Professional Compact Camcorder. Mine arrived the other day and so far it has been amazing. Lots of manual controls, but still great auto mode. Here is a video with sample footage I took just a few minutes after unboxing.

http://vimeo.com/24640285

If you are willing to go up to $2000, then i would recommend checking out the Canon XA10 Professional Compact Camcorder. Mine arrived the other day and so far it has been amazing. Lots of manual controls, but still great auto mode. Here is a video with sample footage I took just a few minutes after unboxing.

http://vimeo.com/24640285

I was originally planning to go for a pro model. Couldn't justify it right now though. For high quality video in a controlled environment, I can just shoot with my 7D. I just wanted some decent for quick shots that I don't have time to a bit setting it up. Wanting to start doing a lot more digital video work. If I can make some revenue with videos, I'll likely come back and spring for a pro cam.

Back