Canon SLR and Lens Reccommendations

SLR and Lens Reccommendations

Hi:

I have seen a lot of talented photographers on this forum over the years and I thought I would ask for your help. I currently have a Cannon Powershot G2 that I am ready to upgrade. I am most interested in something that will give me kick-A$$ lightning, thunderstorm and weather shots but also be able to shoot general pictures of the family, at parties, etc. I am not looking to spend much more than say $1200-$1500 or so for everything.

So, I was wondering if you can make some reccomendations for the following:

1) What kind of camera should I buy (Cannon EOS 20d, EOS 30d or Digital Rebel XT)?
2) Should I just buy the camera body or a camera that comes with the standard goodies and lens?
3) What lenses should I buy in addition to the camera body itself? I am most concerned with lightning and thunderstorm pics for this one but would also like something to take pics of the family at parties, etc...

Thank you all very much for sharing your expertise and opinions with me. This is a big purchase and I appreciate your time and input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Howie,

I am not looking to spend much more than say $1200-$1500 or so for everything.

1) What kind of camera should I buy (Cannon EOS 20d, EOS 30d or Digital Rebel XT)?
2) Should I just buy the camera body or a camera that comes with the standard goodies and lens?
3) What lenses should I buy in addition to the camera body itself? I am most concerned with lightning and thunderstorm pics for this one but would also like something to take pics of the family at parties, etc...
[/b]

Within your budget of $1500 I guess you can afford the Rebel XT with 2 lenses, or a 20D with one good quality lens, or a 30D with perhaps a average quality lens, or a few prime lenses which are high quality but cheaper. But adding an extra battery, two CF cards, a decent tripod and remote release you will easily go above your budget!

- Rebel XT: Very small. You have to be comfortable holding it. Poor balance with big zoom- or telelenses. Small display, different menu style than 20D/30D.
- 20D/30D: 20D is less expensive and does the same, but has smaller display and no Picture Styles (which don't matter for the end result if you shoot RAW). I believe the 30D (like my 5D) allows to shoot more continuously time exposures, whereas 20D and XT want to do a dark frame for noise subtraction after each shot.

Lenses:
Lots of choice. I would rather go for a quality standard zoom to start with. The ones you can also use on full frame (EF) have generally the best quality, but are probably too expensive. I cannot comment on the EF-S range of lenses. Check user reviews at PhotographyReview.com and the tests at PhotoZone.de. You could take 90% of your weather shots with a wide angle zoom, but for family shots, a normal to tele range is what you want. A bright prime lens (f/2.8 or better, f/<2) in the wide-normal range would be convenient at times, but not many options. I have the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 which would be a convenient wide angle on a 1.6 factor camera. Good close-ups too. Quite expensive though.

I would try going for the 20D with 2 lenses and keep in mind the price of the accessories you need, and otherwise downgrade the camera, or go for one good quality standard zoom lens. I wouldn't choose average quality zooms...

I hope somebody else can suggest which lenses, from experience.

Oscar

Rebel XT with 17-55mm Image Stabilisation lens

Seems like your ideal combo! However the lens is expensive! The review of the lens is very positive and IS is certainly a plus if you don't have time to set up the tripod in a hectic chase situation. The lens covers the focal length you will most often need for weather and family.
You could also get an older Digital Rebel (300D). Lenses are most important and don't lose value. The quality difference between all these cameras is quite minimal, the differences are mostly functional/luxury aspects.

Oscar

My 2 yen:

Get the 350XT and the kit lens. Save your money for a better lens later, after you have had some time to see what you really need. The kit lens isn't so bad stopped down to f6.3 and higher. People are going to recommend all sorts of lenses, many that are very expensive. But I would just get the kit lens and sort it out for a while, and then decide what features you need in a lens. The choices (as you have probably researched) are mind boggling.

If the XT is too small for your hands, grab the 30D. The image quality from each is nearly identical, but the 30D has slightly better auto focus.

Also check out the requisite software to process the images.

Realize that an SLR is a commitment to many, many hours of learning. It is great fun, and in no time you will be taking great pictures!

Good luck!

I'd go with XT. Go to a local store and handhold it... see if it works for you. Actually, the 20D doesn't have to do dark frame substraction... and actually... unless you are doing several minute long shots, I leave longterm noise reduction off.

Just remember this... camera bodies will deappreciate with cost substantially. Glass, on the other hand, holds its value extremely well. Over the long term, glass is a better investment. That's why I usually suggest putting in as much $$ into the glass as into the camera body.

Aaron

XT = $580 at bhphotovideo.com
Canon 17-40L = $629 at bhphotovideo.com

I'd go that route. That is all I have other than the 50mm 1.8 lens you can get for $70. The XT price is after a $100 rebate and the lens after a $50 rebate. I wouldn't bother with the kit lens.

XT = $580 at bhphotovideo.com
Canon 17-40L = $629 at bhphotovideo.com

I'd go that route. The XT price is after a $100 rebate and the lens after a $50 rebate. I wouldn't bother with the kit lens.
[/b]

Howie,

I totally agree with everyone that suggests the XT and a quality lens (preferably a Canon L). In February I purchased the Rebel XT form B&H and a Canon 17-40L lens off of ebay. This was my first digital SLR and I couldn’t be happier. I’m still new to photography but I am quite satisfied with the images I have captured so far. I considered the 5D and 20D but in the end couldn’t justify spending that much money.

Scott Currens
www.violentplains.com

Hi Everyone:

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I am reading each and every reccommendation and taking in lots of information. Thank you all and keep the reccommednations coming in if you have one that hasn't been submitted. Thanks again!!

I guess I'm down to the final decision process now. If you have any last minutes chime-ins, I'd love to hear them.

I think the Camera I am going with is the Canon EOS 20D

Now...my question is with the lenses. Lens Options:
Canon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM lens for $ 369.99
or
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for around $600.00

I also plan on purchasing a Lens Hood for $24.00 and;
a Canon Remote Switch with 2.6 foot cord for $70.00

I think the 28-200mm lens will disappoint. The 70-300mm IS is likely our next EOS lens purchase to go along with the 17-40mm we have.

I have to agree with Mike, Scott, etc., that you'll use the wide-normal range lens more if you have to pick one.

What are the differences among the Rebel and other models. pros and cons
I am thinking about the rebel but need more info
thanks

The 28-200mm lens is pretty much crap, the 70-300mm is pretty good, but I'd rather sacrifice length for quality. Look for the 70-200mm L f/4. That lens is lightweight for a telephoto and SHARP. Very good quality.

Reviews from Fred Miranda:
70-200mm F/4 L

28-200mm f/3.5-5.6

70-300mm IS

Where's your wide angle lens? For storm chasing you'll want something with at least 17mm on the wide end.

Aaron

The 28-200mm lens is pretty much crap, the 70-300mm is pretty good, but I'd rather sacrifice length for quality. Look for the 70-200mm L f/4. That lens is lightweight for a telephoto and SHARP. Very good quality.

[/b]

I have the 70-200 L f/4 lens, and agree, it is a really nice telephoto for the money. It's rather ugly imo, and the weight balance argues strongly for getting a mount ring for tripod attachment (another ~$120). But, as Aaron mentioned, you'll have a very small field of view with this lens for scenics. Also - if you don't think you'd use a tripod much, you'll likely not like images made with this lens. Get one with IS instead. If you are interested in a lens for storm chase applications, I'd recommend the 17-40 L f/4 rather than a telephoto, which only costs a bit more, but is a great all-purpose scenic lens as Mike mentioned and amply demonstrates. I have this one as well, and in general am very happy with it. If the price difference seems out of your budget, I'd suggest getting the cheaper camera. I agree with those above that In a few years you'll probably want to upgrade the camera, but you'll still be happy with your lenses if you buy quality ones now.

Glen

I'd say either the 17-40 f/4 L or the 17-55 f/2.8 IS are the best wide-normal length telephotos for chasing. Of course, the 17-55 is around $1k so that's out of most of our budgets. One other comment. L lenses hold their value extremely well. I sold a 200mm f/2.8 L I bought used for $50 more a few years later ;) I hunted around on ebay,photo.net, and fredmiranda.com for used bargains.

Aaron

I'd say either the 17-40 f/4 L or the 17-55 f/2.8 IS are the best wide-normal length telephotos for chasing. Of course, the 17-55 is around $1k so that's out of most of our budgets. One other comment. L lenses hold their value extremely well. I sold a 200mm f/2.8 L I bought used for $50 more a few years later ;) I hunted around on ebay,photo.net, and fredmiranda.com for used bargains.

Aaron
[/b]

I've got the Rebel (300D) with the Canon 17-40L f/4 and Canon 70-200L f/4 zoom lenses. I've been very happy with the 70-200 lens, but I'm not totally sold on the sharpness of the 17-40 lens. I've seen lots of other great images attributed to the 17-40L, but I've had some trouble with the images being somewhat soft and unfocused.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Rich T.

Back