Canon EOS 7D question

:confused: I just got my new Canon EOS 7D and I love it! It has the packaged 28-135 zoom, which I will be augmenting with a wide angle lens. I have to say I am more adept with film cameras (Pentax/Ricoh XR7) than digital cameras. Fewer menus, lol.

In any case, doe anyone have any recommendations on good wide angle lenses for this camera?

Karen,

Your best bet is going to be a Canon EF-S 10-22. The lens Josh posted is an excellent prime lens, but the 10-22 will give you a lot more compositional flexibility, has a wider field of view (very important in storm photography), and is a lot cheaper. (Around $700.)

If the Canon 10-22 is still out of your price range, then you may want to look at Tokina's version wide-angle zoom lens. It's a little bit cheaper. (Around $650.)

Congrats on the 7D -- it's an awesome camera!

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused: I just got my new Canon EOS 7D and I love it! It has the packaged 28-135 zoom, which I will be augmenting with a wide angle lens. I have to say I am more adept with film cameras (Pentax/Ricoh XR7) than digital cameras. Fewer menus, lol.

In any case, doe anyone have any recommendations on good wide angle lenses for this camera?

The tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (low light ability is a great plus) is what I'd go with. It's slightly cheaper than the canon 11-22mm.

Build is very solid. Sharpness and contrast is great too. This is a very well reviewed lens. Checkout photozone reviews if you wish.

If you're not interested in a really fast lens (2.8) then I'd look at the sigma 8mm-16mm 4.5-5.6. Amazingly wide.

Both of these are every bit as sharp -- if not sharper -- than their canon counterparts.

And I have mine (for Canon EOS crop DSLRs) up for sale in the Marketplace section (can't use it now as I have gone full-frame). Sample images available!

Patrick

The tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (low light ability is a great plus) is what I'd go with. It's slightly cheaper than the canon 11-22mm.

Build is very solid. Sharpness and contrast is great too. This is a very well reviewed lens. Checkout photozone reviews if you wish.

If you're not interested in a really fast lens (2.8) then I'd look at the sigma 8mm-16mm 4.5-5.6. Amazingly wide.

Both of these are every bit as sharp -- if not sharper -- than their canon counterparts.

look at the rokinon 8mm. i made a thread about it a few months ago. its only $300 i think and its sharp as a knife. im picking one up next fall. go to flickr.com and search 8mm rokinon to see pictures that have been taken with that lens. they are amazing.

Back