Canon EOS-40D and EOS-1Ds Mark III released

dSLRs are popular among the chaser community, so it's news when a new model is released by one of the major manufacturers. Today, Canon released their update to the popular "prosumer"-level EOS-30D in the EOS-40D.

A couple of notable additions/changes that may be of particular interest to chasers include:
+ 3" LCD screen with live view (live image displayed on the LCD screen, something that has been an advantage for consumer digicams for a while)
+ 10.1 megapixel sensor
+ Dust reduction system
+ Better weather-proofing
+ 14-bit A/D converter

Amazon has a page for the EOS-40D HERE, showing a price of $1299 for body only (in line with the 20D price at release, I believe).

Links to articles and previews:
DPReview's Preview
Popular Photography

The EOS-1Ds Mark III was also announced today (though that's more of a "professional"-level camera and probably not one to be popular among chasers given the price). However, it's quite a camera (look at the resolution). From DPReview:
Key features
  • 21 Megapixel full frame (35mm) CMOS sensor
  • 5 fps continuous shooting for up to 56 frames
  • Dual “DIGIC III” processors
  • Highlight Tone Priority
  • Auto focus system with 19 cross type sensors and 26 focus assist points
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • ISO 100-1600 (expandable to L:50 H:3200)
  • 3.0” 230K pixel LCD with Live View mode
  • Redesigned viewfinder now wider and brighter
  • In addition, "The unit also connects wirelessly to external storage media and supports GPS tagging when used with a portable GPS device."

Last edited by a moderator:
but wait....what's next?

Looking at Canon's website: http://www.usa.canon.com I find something interesting in the new product offerings. They have three new point and shoot (Powershot) cameras that are 12 MPixel.....hummmm. That tells me it won't be long before the prosumer series (now the 10 MP XTi) will make the jump from 10 to 12 MP. When Canon sold a high end prosumer camera for under $1000 they took the market. Now Nikon has responded by adding an inexpensive 10MP camera. For now the XTi is selling well, but I'll bet in a year or less they will upgrade it. Will they also upgrade the 5d to 16 MP, it would follow they might put another carrot out there to reach for. Something to think about in this tactic of bait and switch in digital cameras.

.....thoughts

Back