Camera Question

Here's a question I have though. LEt's say, while chasing you see a shot that looks AMAZING, but it'll only last for a few seconds. Do nyou have to adjust monster settings, enough to miss the shot? Or can you just point and shoot.

The digital rebel can be set to point-and-shoot mode if you need to.

Basically, the difference between a point-and-shoot camera and a camera that allows manual adjustments is like the difference between a car with automatic and manual transmission. Automatic transmission will get you where you're going, but you don't see Indycar drivers using it. If you want to take snapshots, P&S is fine. If you want to take stunning photographs, then you need to learn about photography and then purchase a camera that will allow you the technical means to render your art in the way that you want to. The ability to adjust settings is very important. I've no doubt that your P&S camera can be easily out-performed by a ~10 year old all-mechanical 35mm Pentax K-1000 -- but, yes, you need to learn the technical aspects of the artform (which is not as hard as it sounds!) in order to take advantage of this flexibility.

Re: If you are going to consider a D70 or a digital rebel

Anyway, just another voice to help keep in mind that there's more (and better) out there than Nikon and Canon

I think the better value for the money at that point is just to shoot medium format. Glass that good is wasted at 5 megapixels. Yeah, if Zeiss or Leica made lenses to fit Canons, then they'd be worth looking at instead of buying Canon OEM glass -- a lense like that mounted to a 1D MkII would be something -- but 5 megapixels? Heck, you'd have to put a gun to my head to buy that over the Leica 35mm rangefinder like the M7, even if I had to pay twice the price. Why purchase the finest wine money can buy if you're going to mix it with punch?

If you don't mind waiting 5 seconds between shots and only plan on using one lense, you can get a lot more bang for $1200 out of an old-school medium format setup.

But if you set it to point and shoot/automatic, it will choose the appropriate settings for the given situation correct? Umm, I was also looking and I saw besides the Canon Digital Rebel, their is something new out called Canon Digital Rebel XT. Which one is better? I see the XT is more expensive, however. But does have more MP. Do any of the chasers that shoot good pictures, use automatic, you think? Because, I just worry, I'll fiddle to much with settings and miss a potentially awsome shot. Also, whats the best place I can buy one, on the internet?

What about Aperture and Exposure? Do you just not touch those? So are those your custom settings? What about JUST shooting in Auto? How does RAW differ from JPG or something? What does ISO and shutter speed do?

I always shoot in Av or Manual. The one exception was at an airshow where I tried some Tv so I wouldn't have to worry about having the right setting for prop blur.

What about Aperture and Exposure?
Aperature controls depth of field... In addition, lens are sharper stopped down.. usually from f/8-f/11. The exception is L lenses which perform much better wide open (say f/2.8-f/4) even though even these will be less sharp than at f/8.

How does RAW differ from JPG or something?
Shooting raw allows you to change the in camera settings such as sharpness/contrast/saturation after the fact. The biggest advantage for me is better control over exposure (say lightening up darker ground when you hjave a bright sky and don't have time for a neutral grad. density filter). Not to mention you can change the white balance afterwards...

What does ISO and shutter speed do?
As ISO increases, sensor noise increases... however you can take pictures at a faster shutter speed or stopped down more to get the same exposure. For example, a shot at 1/100 at f/8 at ISO100 would be 1/250 f/8 at ISO200.

As far as shutter speed goes, you should always shoot at least 1/focal length to keep blur to a min. For myself, I find that I must shoot at 1/2*focal length to get best results (especially at telephoto).

To stop action, you want to use faster shutter speeds. For speeds between 1s and 1/60 you should use mirror lock up to prevent the image being blurry due to shutter slap.

Aaron

The XT is faster, lighter, and more user friendly (as far as manual controls go) compared to the Digi Reb. In addition, it has an 8mp sensor instead of 6, although the major features (reasons to go with the XT) are the aformentioned.

Aaron

I see, however. I have heard very very good things about the regular Digital Rebel, so if I were to get one, would I get the normal or the XT? What would you suggest?

I see, however. I have heard very very good things about the regular Digital Rebel, so if I were to get one, would I get the normal or the XT? What would you suggest?

If price is not an issue, get the XT. Actually, if price is not an issue, you can do even better than the XT. XT is simply a newer generation of the digital Rebel. I don't own either, but it's highly unlikely that the old Rebel is going to beat the new and improved Rebel. Most reviews I've read have said similar.

I hate to be the cliched guy you tells you to go use Google, but go use Google. I think you've probably tapped the chase community out for advice about the digital Rebel. In the end, you should be the one making the choice, not us. :) A good site to start at would be:

http://www.dpreview.com/

They have a ton of camera reviews on that site. All of the reviews are extremely helpful and methodical, with lots of test sample images to give you an idea of how quality stacks up to other cameras in its class.

If Leitz's quality hasn't slipped too much, that 5MP Leica probably makes much better pictures out of the box than a RebXT/20D with the dreaded kit lens. Also remember that 8MP gains only ~25% more linear resolution over a 5MP sensor, hardly enought to make a huge difference in image quality. At any rate, it's good to see some variety in the market.

Now, if someone would only make a digital back for my film camera.....

So your saying the lens that comes with the canon Digital rebel in the box/kit, is not good? So If I just started taking pictures with it, right out of the box, they would not look good? It's necessary to buy more lens?

So your saying the lens that comes with the canon Digital rebel in the box/kit, is not good? So If I just started taking pictures with it, right out of the box, they would not look good? It's necessary to buy more lens?

The "kit" comes with a 18-55m lens; which is totally NOT the best lens, but it will surely work for you. I still use the 18-55m lens, as I am not able to afford a >$500 (17-40m) lens at the moment.

About that Leitz lens

"Glass that good is wasted at 5 megapixels"

Not any more than an 8 megapixel sensor is wasted when coupled to the lenses found on mini digitals.

Ask anyone that uses quality lenses with something like Nikon D2H (4 megapixels for upwards of $2500 for the body)

Is 5 megapixels sufficient for publication quality material. Probly not, but for great amateur quality work, 4-5 megapixels and a great lens (in the right hands) will blow away a 6-8 megapixel sensor coupled to lower quality glass

Actually, the biggest problem I have had with the Digilux 2 is finding 69mm accesories. Most camera shops look at you like you're from Mars when you give them that size

Back