Camera or Camcorder Upgrade

I'm looking to either buy a camera or upgrade my current camcorder for shooting weather and storm chasing. Right now, I have a Sony HDR-CX160 Handycam as my camcorder. I have gotten used to it and know how to optimize my settings. I have thought about getting something better but I also don't have a camera for taking individual photos. The Nikon D5300 has received very good reviews and one of the threads on this forum specifically talks about this camera and has positive feedback. If I got the Nikon D5300 I would get the holiday bundle with the additional bigger lense.

Basically, I am torn between which route to go. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I am also not looking to spend a lot of money but, I do want to purchase something that has great quality. (This is my first post but I have been lurking around the forum for a few months now.)

I'm looking to either buy a camera or upgrade my current camcorder for shooting weather and storm chasing. Right now, I have a Sony HDR-CX160 Handycam as my camcorder. I have gotten used to it and know how to optimize my settings. I have thought about getting something better but I also don't have a camera for taking individual photos. The Nikon D5300 has received very good reviews and one of the threads on this forum specifically talks about this camera and has positive feedback. If I got the Nikon D5300 I would get the holiday bundle with the additional bigger lense.

Basically, I am torn between which route to go. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I am also not looking to spend a lot of money but, I do want to purchase something that has great quality. (This is my first post but I have been lurking around the forum for a few months now.)

What's the most you're looking to spend?

I read that Canon does not take as nice of photos as Nikon. But, if Canon can take better video and possibly replace my camcorder maybe it would be a better purchase. I would probably go with the Canon Rebel T5i if I went that route.

I'm a Canon person myself. Its very user friendly. I've messed around with a couple of Nikons and it was tough figuring out what buttons do what. I still have a t2i that works amazing. Does great video and better pictures.

I read that Canon does not take as nice of photos as Nikon.

I guarantee that you cannot tell the difference between a Nikon and a Canon shot when presented side by side. Wherever you read that is full of beans, and you'd do well avoiding any other "advice" from that source.

But, if Canon can take better video and possibly replace my camcorder maybe it would be a better purchase. I would probably go with the Canon Rebel T5i if I went that route.

I would go with camera and separate video if possible. I don't know any chaser that's been satisfied doing it all on the same device.

Also, why the T5i? I would spend a little more time investigating your purchase and talking to people.

Difference between T2i and T3i:
1. articulated back LCD screen, gimmicky but some people like it
2. Digital zoom, meh use a different lens instead
3. Minor crap you won't care about

Difference between T3i and T4i:
1. Touch-based back LCD screen, gimmicky but some people like it
2. Upgrade to the focusing system, maybe a big deal if you shoot a lot of action? I never had problems focusing on a T2i, even when shooting sports.
3. A few new features for focusing while taking video that can be kind of nice, like touch focusing and better continuous AF

Difference between T4i and T5i:
1. A few tweaks to knobs and creative mode? *yawn*

If you want Canon and you just care about image quality and not so much about video, there's no reason to get anything beyond a T2i. Take the money you saved getting a T2i vs a T5i and buy a good lens, like the Tamron 17-50, where you'll actually differences in your shooting style and image quality. I can see buying a T4i if you really like the touch-based articulating LCD screen, and think the video features would be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guarantee that you cannot tell the difference between a Nikon and a Canon shot when presented side by side. Wherever you read that is full of beans, and you'd do well avoiding any other "advice" from that source.

I have to agree with this. Canon and Nikon both produces great DSLR's, but put them side by side you aren't going to notice any differences.

Would any of you care to say if my current camcorder (Sony HDR-CX160 Handycam) is sufficient for the time being?

Is it 1080P? Does it have either internal memory or SD card (not tape)? I don't know what your needs are, but if it has those two things, that's plenty good for personal use. A bunch of footage that gets sold to the media, or goes on DVDs/Blu Rays like Storm Assist, is shot on little video cams like these.

I have not shopped for a video camera in a long time, so I'm not up on what the current chaser-friendly models are. However, I do know that in reality, many of the lower-end camcorders (under $500) and most of the video-capable DSLRs will do just fine for most people. A few things to look for in a camera:

- Low light performance*
- Manual focus setting (infinity lock)
- Recording bitrate (at least 25mbps H.264)

*While low light performance is usually measured in lux values, I have found this isn't very reliable in telling how a camera will do with storms during the late evening/post-sunset. The nice thing is that most new cameras will have a ton of sample footage/screenshots you can view on Youtube or at review sites. A DSLR isn't as critical since in low light, you can do long exposure stills time-lapses.

My camcorder now has 1080p capability and an SD card for memory. I guess I'll just have to decide between a Nikon and Canon for photos. Thanks for all the help everyone

Caleb, I'm with Rob on this one. I am a T2i owner, and love it. Although I love some of the video I've gotten with it, I have to agree to keep a video camera and picture camera separate. I also own a Canon Vixia HF21 camcorder, which has been a durable and reliable camera for the past 4 years. I lost an LCD screen in 2012 to a random hailstone near Woodward. Luckily I was able to find a replacement screen, and about an hour of tinkering with tiny screws, I got the screen replaced. So now when I'm chasing, I can mount the Vixia to my windshield with a $30 suction mount while I snap pics. Or if the lighting is good I can set the Vixia on the tripod and go to work on pics.

I also agree that the camera isn't what makes the picture good. Its the lens, amount of post processing, and the photographer him/herself that makes a great photograph. You'd be surprised at what a cheap camera can do in the right hands (case-in-point my avatar pic was shot with a cheap Kodak point-and-shoot). So save yourself some money for the chase season and start off with the bare essentials. Get you a T2i, and look for a cheap, maybe slightly used wide angle lens. And keep your handy cam. Sounds like it should do fine with what you want.

One important question to keep in mind - you can be a gearhead or a photographer, which is more important to you? Sure the D800 has a great sensor, and the 14-24 is a great lens, but I see plenty of people with $5000 worth of gear taking absolutely garbage photos, and I see people with a $25 Pentax ME Super getting amazing photos. Find something you really like shooting with, shoot a ton with it, and don't ever feel limited by gear.

Thanks for all the help and information! I'm still a very novice photographer but I want to get good at taking photos of storm structure and lightning (the real "good", not those overedited photos I see all the time now...). I'll look for a camera on the cheaper side that will suit me best.

Back