Buying a new laptop- need recommendations

Well I've saved my pennies and decided it's time for me to get my own laptop. I need it primarily for my photography buisness, but I will also use it for college work and chasing. I've got $500 in my savings. My parents have agreed to put up to $200 towards the purchase so I'm looking for a machine:
- between $500 and $700.
- minimum 80 GB harddrive, would like 100 GB if possible
- ability to run several apps at once
- reliable

I refuse to look at Dells based on bad experiences my friends have had with them. Acers are cheap for a reason, so I won't look at one of them either. Otherwise, I'm pretty much open to any brand. Right now I'm looking closest at either a HP/Compaq, a Lenovo, or a Toshiba. I'm flexible in whether I buy new or factory refurbished, as long as it fits my needs and my budget. Oh yeah, and it's gotta have Windows XP, but be Vista capable. I'm not upgrading to Vista until they get ALL the bugs worked out.Which should be in about a year:rolleyes:
I'm looking to make my purchase in the next few days. But I, like any consumer, want to make an informed purchase. And where almost all of us on ST own lappy's, I thought it would be a good idea to ask y'all what brand and model you think would be good for what I need.
Are there any particular models that any of you would reccommend that fit my parameters?

If so, any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.:D

I have actually had the worst luck with Compaqs, although admittedly I have never purchased one of their laptops (on the contrary, I have used Dell for several years with no problems). Each of the last three computers my parents have bought were Compaq desktops and they all had serious hardware problems that manifested themselves within 6 months of purchase (the first one had a bad capacitor so it liked to shut itself off randomly, the second had a warped motherboard, and the third required replacement sound and graphics cards). Needless to say, I don't really trust Compaq.

However, you mention Toshiba as a brand of interest. I know several people who have used Toshibas and they are very happy with the performance - in fact, one of my friends from high school has been using the same computer he got when he came to college 5 years ago (a Toshiba Satellite, I believe).

You are going to get lemons no matter what brand you buy. I've seen Toshibas bite the dust as well. Your best bet is to browse through some hardware review sites/forums and look at particular models. Pick out some models in your price range from the vendors' websites and then google those models to see what folks are saying about them. Basing a your laptop purchase off just the brand name won't tell the whole story.

Just an FYI, ACER Computers are filled completely and are owned by HP so they really are no different... ANy way make sure you get one that has a 1394 hookup so you will not have to mess with a fire wire card... just my 2 pennies

Just an FYI, ACER Computers are filled completely and are owned by HP

That might be true, however the quality control on those boxes certainly isn't up to HP standards. I worked for an outlet that sold them and I saw a lot of really sloppy work and poor support from the company. Would not recommend them at all.

I've had two Toshiba Satelite's laptops - both were very trouble prone - hardware and software problems plus overheating problems - Buyer Beware !

Jon Miller
KT8NDO

I have a Gateway laptop. MX6455 to be exact. Personally I like it, its has usb and firewire ports. Got a Gig of ram, 2Ghz machine, 100gb hd, 15" monitor. Got for about $1000 at the time, but you maybe able to find it on clearence at some places probably around the price range your looking for.

Now as a personal preference, regardless of what laptop you buy, I highly recommend a 3 year accdential warranty. It may sound kind of pointless but I had an Apple ibook at one time, it was the G3 model and I had problems with the video logic board about everytime I turned around. I also had to get the extended warranty to cover after it went past the 1 year. But you never know, you may get one that will never need any warranty on it. But it never hurts to get it. Most places I think allow up to 30 days for you to buy the extended warrenty.

One last tip, go to your prefered local electronic store and see if they have a tech area (ie: Geek Squad, Firedog, etc) and look at what laptops you see the most in there. Even ask the workers which laptop they seems to be always coming in. Also ask what problem they tend to see the most. Lot of times that'll give you an idea if a certain model has an actual hardware issue or maybe its just a user error issue.

I hope that helps you some. - Grady

Now as a personal preference, regardless of what laptop you buy, I highly recommend a 3 year accdential warranty.
I'd second the opinion of purchasing the all-inclusive warranty, especially if you're going mobile chasing with your laptop. I know others in the forum had recommended against Dell. But, I purchased the Complete Care coverage through them for my 600m laptop, it's been a lifesaver. I've gotten the keyboard and motherboard replaced at no cost. Initial cost to buy that Complete Care coverage was only $159 for 3 years of coverage. To me, that's pretty cheap insurance knowing that your laptop is covered 100% for 3 full years. At the end of the 3 years, you can upgrade to a new laptop to get the new technology, and pass that laptop down to someone else (my daughter in this instance). And, if you're mobile, with the extra vibration, the chance to have the laptop fly of the seat, or whatever, it's worthy insurance.

Van

I think it depends on the cost of the investment. Extended warranties on consumer electronics are almost never a good buy. I wouldn't hesitate, however, to add a $3,000 laptop as a rider to my renter's insurance policy, if that's allowed, in case I drop it in a lake or something.

Well, yes, I would agree with that. I generally don't buy the extended warranties for cars, electronics, etc. However, for a laptop that I knew would be bounced around, thrown over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes, and given the fragility of such components these days, $159 was a good investment. I paid $1500 for the laptop, so a 10% premium was the price I paid, but it (the complete care package) has already paid for itself.

I work in the IT industry as a computer technician. Without a doubt, I would strongly suggest getting a warranty. I.e. if you were to buy a Dell, get their warranty. As for one from Best buy, or any other consumer, I would think it is a good idea. Although I have never used or had to use a warranty from a retailer, I can tell you this: In my 15 years in doing this, I have yet to see a laptop that did not have some instance where the warranty was not used. The warranty pays for itself!
My two cents of course, and I know the added cost of a warranty is a tough pill to swallow sometimes, but I think it is worth it.

Dell's complete care warrantys are great and I have found that you can bargain with the Indian reps and talk them down from the $475 four year price. You can talk them down to around $150 making a dell computer the best deal that you can find on any laptop .

I have long used Dell laptops and the only problem I have had is with the LCD screens. My first one waited until it was very long in tooth and lost the screen. I called Dell about a replacement screen and then realized it was new laptop time.

The current laptop lost the LCD screen about a year into its five year extended warranty and a technician showed up with the screen in tow and I was back in business. The extended warranty paid for itself.

I have had various desktops, IBM's PS2, Acer, Dell and now home built. I am the warranty on the homebuilts and will continue to go that route for desktops. I have just purchased a new Antec case for the next upgrade.

I am satisfied with the Dell laptop and will purchase another when it craters and the warranty is gone... I do not trust the 'Best Buys' of the world to support their products.

FWIW...

Back