Brisk Wind Advisory?

Billy Griffin

Okay, okay, I know we have warnings, watches, advisories, etc. for just about every type of weather event nowadays, but just what exactly is a "brisk wind advisory?"

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/wwamap-prd/wwatxtget.php?cwa=usa&wwa=brisk wind advisory

I'm being sarcastic, yes, but reading the statement on this advisory, is there really a need for a new title? I really don't understand this statement, or at least the need for it. Doesn't meet high wind warning/watch criteria, and if it's geared to ocean-going vessels, shouldn't it be a small craft advisory, etc?

I noticed this the other day. It's a maritime based advisory, and the weather on the ocean effects people differently than it does on land. Typically on the ocean you see gale and storm warnings, but I'm guessing sub-gale winds were also causing problems so they needed a new category.

I understand, but I guess it seems a little silly to me. What next, a "rain advisory" for Seattle? :)

Could it be an advisory because "brisk" winds on the water can cause other problems, like freezing spray, etc? Anyway, I think you'd be laughed at if you ever advertised a Brisk Wind Advisory in a normal public forecast product.

Could it be an advisory because "brisk" winds on the water can cause other problems, like freezing spray, etc? Anyway, I think you'd be laughed at if you ever advertised a Brisk Wind Advisory in a normal public forecast product.

I think there is already a series of advisories/warnings for freezing spray. It's a fairly common forecast in the coastal waters off Alaska. And if you've ever seen crab fishing on Discovery its obvious why its such a big problem.

As for brisk winds. It's gotta be a new advisory. I'ver never heard of it before, and I just happened to notice it a few days ago.

Yep - I was just doing some reading on the crab fishing, and have noted an increased number of boats coming into the ports up here in Seattle-Tacoma. That could have an influence on the new advisory criteria, I suppose, and that makes sense.

Back