Book Review: Tornado Hunters by Stefan Bechtel with Tim Samaras

Stormtrack and Stormtrack members are featured and quoted in "Tornado Hunter: Getting Inside the Most Violent Storms on Earth", a new book by "Stefan Bechtel with Tim Samaras" published by National Geographic. I inhaled its 265 pages less than 20 hours after getting it my hot little hands. (I'm notorious for starting books and not finishing them).

I believe that this book would be an enjoyable read for anybody interested in weather, chasing, and severe storms. Its educational aspects are aimed at the layman, but the chapters it contains on historic tornadoes, recent chase days, and unbelievable events (such as the chapter "The Man Who Rode Thunder" about a Navy pilot who had to eject from his F8U Crusader jet when his engine died as he flew above a supercell - resulting in a 40 minute ride in the interior of a severe storm) will appeal to anybody with a pulse and an interest in weather.

The book begins with the successful probe deployments of Tim Samaras and then goes into his background and chases. But the book goes far beyond Tim's exploits (as entertaining and educational as they are). This book (just published) is quite up-to-date, including references to Spotter Network, YouTube, and the recent Discovery Channel series on storm chasers, for example. It also does a good job of giving a quick history on tornado research and how far we've come in our understanding over the past few decades (as well as how much we still don't know).

I also especially enjoyed the chapters on "Ted" Fujita and how listening to his father's wishes on college choices saved him from the dropping of the first atomic bomb (on his first university choice: Hiroshima) and how the atmosphere (ironically) saved him when it refused to clear for the dropping of the 2nd atomic bomb - the mission then diverted instead to Nagasaki as its 2nd choice.

The book also covers the sort of chase days that we are familiar with, including May 23rd (Quinter, KS area) and the Greensberg, KS F5 day. It includes references to and quotes from a good number of Stormtrackers (I'll not name them so as to avoid insulting anyone that I might forget) and NWS personnel. The work of Tim Samaras starts the book, and is sprinkled throughout. The book closes with an animated Tim Samaras speaking to a young elementary school audience.

I enjoyed the entire book, but was particularly entertained by the chapter entitled "The Big Kahuna" which is not about a tornado, but an incredible high speed camera that Tim Samaras worked with in its government days and was later able to purchase for a song at government auction. It has been converted to digital and there is no other camera even remotely like it on the planet. You will have to read about it to believe it. I look forward to seeing the images that this produces as Tim is working to study lightning with it, as it has never been studied before - even throwing the high speed Phantom camera into the discussion.

I highly recommend this book as a good read on the subject and perhaps one that you'd like to give as a gift to those friends and relatives who may not fully understand your intense interest in the subject.
http://www.amazon.com/Tornado-Hunter-Getting-Inside-Violent/dp/1426203020/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back