Best external mic for FDR-AX100??

Okay guys, so I just purchased a Sony FDR-AX100 a while back for chasing and I'm looking at getting an external microphone to mount on the hot-shoe that is built into the camera. The camera has a decent onboard microphone, however for best audio quality, I think its best to purchase something external. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't know much about audio equipment. I've used the Rode mics before for the DSLR cameras and they perform pretty well, was just hoping to get a few opinions from some other chasers here as far as what is the best option. Thank you!

I also use Rode with my aging camcorder, so I think your choice is a good one Ethan. I also have a dead cat wind muff accessory that I bought from B&H which helps cut down on wind noise from storm inflow and works like a champ!

The rode mics are great for budget. If you want to go all out, drop money on a Sennheiser shotgun mic, Although without XLR inputs on that cam you might have some issues powering it.

I agree with these two as well. I order all my camera gear from B&H they ship usually in 3 days free if your over a certain price and they have great customer service. they really care about what they do and their customers.

Back