Baron SpotterNet?

Ok, hopefully someone can straighten me out here. :)

During this year's spotter training for Collin County this past Saturday, we had reps from one of the local tv stations (Channel 11). After the normal "our radar is better than theirs" talk, they went on to discuss a new "Spotter Network" (their exact words) program they were starting at the station. They wanted local spotters to submit reports to the station through a windows client they are licensing from Baron out of Houston. I think the client is called SpotterNet. They were actually signing people up during the sessions to get them a userid into the system. I asked them if this was affiliated with Spotter Network, and they said no. I also asked if they would be relaying these reports to the NWS, and they said yes. They seemed particularly keen on getting images and phone numbers of submitters, and said they would likely do a phoner with you during a storm if you were in the right spot.

So, my questions are these:

* Why would spotters submit reports to a local tv station rather than use Spotter Network or eSpotter, etc. Seems like it is breaking the communication path.
* I found the naming convention to be a bad choice, given the existing Spotter Network.
* Is this done anywhere else?
* There seems like a lot of potential for bad reports/malicious reports since they seemed to be signing up anyone and everyone.

Any thoughts?

James

It's called "how to get free reporters in the field by making them feel like they're something special". The station can then advertise that they have their own troop of spotters, and thus be perceived as a larger, more trustable organization than their competitors. A local news station here in Nebraska has started doing this too -- having their own unpaid spotters who livestream video to them and call in to the station to report what they see. The local Met here even joked with me about how a few of the people he contacted actually thought they should get paid something or at least be provided some free video equipment to stream with. The spotter gets to deck their vehicle out with lots of TV station logos and stuff (at their own cost) and gets "free air time". Basically a way to feel cool about yourself while doing your hobby. The station found plenty of people willing to do this for them. I think some of them actually read Storm Track, so I should say that I'm not knocking you for agreeing to do this, I'm more just disgusted that a news station would be willing to enter into an arrangement with chasers to phone in and to livestream video for them and not even pay for their gasoline.

* Why would spotters submit reports to a local tv station rather than use Spotter Network or eSpotter, etc. Seems like it is breaking the communication path.
Because they want validation for their efforts that may not come from the regular spotter channels. Many feel that need due to insecurities or self-worth.

* I found the naming convention to be a bad choice, given the existing Spotter Network.
It depends on trademark. If they didn't trademark and don't defend the name...it's there loss.

* Is this done anywhere else?
I personally don't know of anything this specific, esp. using Baron, but it isn't uncommon for stations to solicit reports, images, video, etc. from it's viewers and even have 'trusted' folks that are not on the payroll.

* There seems like a lot of potential for bad reports/malicious reports since they seemed to be signing up anyone and everyone.
To some degree, there is the potential for filtering bad reports if the station has the manpower and time to weed through the reports before passing them to NWS or to it's viewership.

Remember to look at the root incentive here. It is a TV station that banks ons viewership both on the TV and website for advertising revenue. It actually is a smart move on their part. They get the benefits of have a large public reporting system with only the cost of equipment. They no longer have to pay for images and reports from the public (as likely is part of the TOS withing their version of spotter network). They can possibly beat NWS to the warnings by receiving the reports ahead of the NWS. Any station is always trying to not only out-do the other stations in the market, but beat EVERYONE.

Not use I like the idea, but perhaps a wait-and-see mentality is a more appropriate one here. It is the DFW market which seems to me to be a little more interesting in helping it's viewers in addition to making profits.

Now, if anyone is upset about the fact they may be making money of of free images, reports, etc. because it affects your business....your are in the wrong business.

I was thinking the same thing on several of the issues you stated. Such as the naming of the service and how they would weed out bad/false reports.

It sounds like a good idea on the part of CBS 11. Personally, I like relaying information through the original Spotter Network, RACES/ARES, and directly to the NWS.

Back