Australia's Morning Glory Clouds

Brian Press

Hey ST'ers,

I just got a new copy of weather wise and there was a cool story about the "Morning Glory". I don't know if this has been posted here before but check out this link.

www.dropbears.com/brough/gallery/morning_glory/index.htm

Look through a bunch of these photos. Totally amazing.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? They look like mini gustfronts, but the MG is very, very shallow. They have tours in which they take out gliders and surf the cloud.
Very cool,

b.p.

Nothing like great airplane shots to really give you a grasp of the 3D aspect of clouds! Those are great!

I have seen similar looking clouds here in Texas early in the morning when the LLJ is cranked up, oriented longwise with the flow and usually moving in a northerly direction at a pretty good clip. I have learned over the years to recognize that as a good sign for the day! :wink:

Saw 9 roll clouds pass within about 30 minutes at Salina, Kansas, 29 May 2005. Weather was fine with a freashening NE.

rollcloud1.jpg

Originally posted by Steven Williams
Saw 9 roll clouds pass within about 30 minutes at Salina, Kansas, 29 May 2005. Weather was fine with a freashening NE.

rollcloud1.jpg

We saw something like this year before last in Oklahoma when a cold front passed after the dryline swept some storm eastward. I took video of it down the line with the intention of making some time lapse of that one of these days. It was pretty cool (literally and figuratively).

Originally posted by David Drummond
Nothing like great airplane shots to really give you a grasp of the 3D aspect of clouds! Those are great!

I have seen similar looking clouds here in Texas early in the morning when the LLJ is cranked up, oriented longwise with the flow and usually moving in a northerly direction at a pretty good clip. I have learned over the years to recognize that as a good sign for the day! :wink:

Are these forming under similar conditions to the Morning Glory in Australia?

If anybody ever comes across a satellite image of Morning Glory please get it posted here.

Some of these met students (or mets) can probably correct me on this, but I THINK they generally from when there is a lot of lower atmosphere moisture advecting into a relatively still fairly stable airmass.

Taking the southern plains example, on good storm days, things haven't quite started to destabilize until the sun gets to working on it or the lift overhead hasn't arrived yet, but on the low level jet you already have all this storm juice pushing in. Then again, what I am talking about and what those pictures you posted up top represented may be two entirely different processes, but they do look very similar sometimes. This often will burn off by mid morning as well.

Thought I'd see if I could resurrect this old thread and update it with some cool YouTube videos of the phenomenon. (Some people who recorded them didn't know what they were called).