• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

August 28,1990. Plainfield super tornado

Clayton t gillaspy

Enthusiast
I see all the acknowledged monster tornados mentioned here that are all pretty much high end f-5 monsters among the strongest mentioned are definitely here except for possibly one of the absolute strongest of all time the 1990 Plainfield tornado deserves to be mentioned simply because it was a borderline f-6 and yes I know there is no such thing but this storm possibly was why? Ted fujita estimated it at 318 mph for a short time of its 16 mi path people in its path saw a monster shrouded in a hp cell very similar to the tri-state monster of 1925 Plainfield was stronger than zenia of 74 only Parkersburg Iowa 2008 and a handful of others were possibly stronger since it was never photographed will never know for sure but I live near Plainfield and walked that area several days after it occurred and the damage was apocalyptic some of the worst damage was never photographed but I saw it and the fact that it was moving @50 mph it was incredibly loud it dropped at f-2 strength in within 10 min was approaching f-5 strength cape was off the scale that day at 8000kg lifted index was -14 to -16 it had tremendous energy to form in well enough said it deserves to be in the top 10 or top 20 of most violent of all times

Use the search feature - you will find many threads.

Back