Article on the quest for long range tornado activity forecasts

My 2¢: Our nation is bankrupt. I can't think of a single practical use for a seasonal tornado forecast. Why are the feds funding (some) of these studies?

On the same day as the article, it was announced the NWS was spending ~$350K for UMASS to survey peoples' response to tornado warnings. This topic has been surveyed to death and nothing has changed. The tornado warning issued as the tornado was crushing JLN was 300+ words in length. Social scientists, including one now working for the NWS, have told me that tornado warnings are too wordy and, consequently, lose the sense of urgency.

So, we are spending millions on social scientists and 1/3 of a million on another survey but nothing will change!

They'd have plenty of utility for chasers. I'd certainly appreciate something more concrete to book my chasecation on than a wing, a prayer and some week-3 CFS chiclets.

However, I agree I can't see them being of much value for the general public. As you say, getting most people to take action for a 10-minute lead time warning is challenge enough.

Back