Anyone quit chasing? Know someone who has, why?

and about the only time I ever drink is when Graham and I go for Margaritas and Mexican Food!

Margaritas? Mexican Food? I'll be right there! LOL!

Quit chasing? Do I ever think about it? Hmmm...I don't think I can. I simply don't think I can. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with chasing combined with other aspects of my life. In the end analysis for me though, I have a hard time turning my back on it.

I've always loved storms. They've always been a part of me. I've always had a bit of a poet in me too and reflecting on nature and life is just something I do. Perhaps someday I'll change, but that is hard to imagine because I would certainly be someone else, and I believe I would have lost a spark of life, that curiosity that sends us down the road time after time.

I could never quite chasing. I've "threatened" to quit once, after I had a few busts and bad luck during 2003. One of my crappiest years. But then I just look at it and say "There's always next year!". I could never quit something that I have a real passion for. If I could, I'd do even more of it!

I do believe in "burn outs" though, where you might get tired of chasing. It is a lot of work and can take a lot out of you, including your wallet for food and gas :silent: but I think it's quite normal. I don't know anyone who has ever quit chasing. Well, I guess there was Erik Rasmussen, but he doesn't chase as much anymore because of his work on researching storms. He still has his passion for weather, I'd assume, but I don't think he chases just for fun on his own anymore. I don't know if it has to do with the number of Yahoos out there or what.

Some that come to mind:

- Barbara White (noted 1980s chaser, former partner of Jim Leonard)
- Lan Lamphere, who was pivotal to that 1997 "UFO specks in chase video" enigma, went on to dabble in related fringe hobbies.
- Tom Grazulis, I think -- he kinda disappeared after ~2001; I haven't been able to reach him or his wife via E-mail.
- Allen Rosenberg, went on to create the Gilbert [Sebenste] Zone cartoon and then vanished to other pursuits in New Jersey. I heard from him briefly around 2001 when gathering his old Gilbert Zone cartoons and he mentioned they were gone (we recovered them off archive.org).

Tim

There was a guy name of Blair Kooistra (whom I had known about for years before from his work as a train photographer). He got a job at BNSF in Foat Wuth to be close to the action, even had some storm content on his website. Now that's gone and he hasn't posted anywhere that I've seen in about 2+ years.

There have been tons of folks who have come and gone on the lists over the last five years or so ... how many of them were actually known to chase, like Tim V. listed, I don't know ... for the most part I think most of the listers were mainly just interested parties and local chasers.

At this point for me, quitting would be like asking Peter Pan to leave Neverland for good. I don't see myself growing up anytime soon. If something were to happen to my family or a loved one like someone else pointed out, I can't say how I would be affected by such a tragedy. I always try to factor in the human element to these things, but really have no idea how I'd react to something like that. Would definitely alter my perception, if nothing else. I've known plenty of folks who have lost homes and property, but don't have anyone close to me who has ever lost their life during severe weather.

Originally posted by Damon Scott Hynes

There was a guy name of Blair Kooistra (whom I had known about for years before from his work as a train photographer). He got a job at BNSF in Foat Wuth to be close to the action, even had some storm content on his website. Now that's gone and he hasn't posted anywhere that I've seen in about 2+ years.

Blair has two kids now and is loving the 'chase' of fatherhood. He still pays attention to the sky and I have no doubt that as soon as Mary gives him the green light, he'll be back in the warm sector. He's an excellent photographer who many of us have seen jump from a car, run to a spot while simultaneously unfolding and deploying a tripod, then attaching the camera within a few seconds, like an Olympic sport. LOL.

My friend Tom quit chasing after the Catoosa, Ok tornado of 1993. He came across the victims shortly after the tornado hit Bruce's Truckstop and it really got to him. He still works in meteorology, but chooses not to chase.

Originally posted by Justin Teague
My friend Tom quit chasing after the Catoosa, Ok tornado of 1993. He came across the victims shortly after the tornado hit Bruce's Truckstop and it really got to him. He still works in meteorology, but chooses not to chase.

I thought it was Red Rock, 1991 that made him quit. More likely it was the lack of all you can eat buffets in tornado alley that did him in.... HA!

Back