Anyone been in strong to severe turbulence in jet?

I haven't encountered severe turbulence, but I have encountered some that was pretty bad. On my flight from LAX to DFW on my way back from Melbourne, we crossed a nighttime MCS in west Texas. I remember looking out the window and seeing the light flash from the wing of the plane and then seeing additional strobe-like lights flashing. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out that it was lightning. Then, almost as soon as I figured out that we were flying near a storm (couldn't tell if we were in it or not since it was night), we encountered some pretty heavy turbulence. If I was prone to motion sickness, I probably would have had a problem with it, but it felt more like a wild roller coaster ride to me.

Then on the descent to Pensacola a few weeks ago, I was in one of those small American Eagle jets. As we descenced, we crossed into the frontal boundary (a cold front had come through either the day or night before)and the winds were zipping pretty fast, and the plane was being pushed in different directions rather than being steady. I was starting to fear that we'd hit the runway at a funny angle and crash or something.

Probably the most scarry moments for me were on flights from LAX to parts in the Southern Hemisphere (Tahiti - New Zealand - Australia), everytime we flew over the ITCZ it's a white knuckler.... but what really adds to the fun is that as it gets hectic you realize that there is thousands of miles of big blue deep ocean... no land ... no nearby runways in case of emergency. :shock:

Agreed...you can always tell when you cross the ITCZ because it gets to be a bumpy ride! The turbulence wasn't too awful when I crossed it going to and from Australia, but it was definitely enough to wake me up while i was trying to sleep on the plane.

Forgot To Add This One...

Good day guys,

Here's a shot while getting a good "bumpin' around" ...

fly737cc.jpg

This was a severe thunderstorm over Orlando, FL being passed by a 737 flying from Burlington, NC to Fort Lauderdale, FL in May of 1996.

The storm here did produce hail, wind damage and a small tornado. The picture here was taken from about 35,000 feet while passing the storm.

Chris Collura - KG4PJN

Back