• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Another Strong, And Unwarned, Tornado: North Carolina

This is from this afternoon. It is just incredible that this keeps happening! It has been upgraded to EF-3 and it destroyed 50,000 pallets of medicine at a Pfizer plant that heavily damaged.

As always, I'm open for questions and comments.

Last edited:
If I am reading it right, the report of the tornado went out at 1:27 with the listed time of the tornado as 12:37. So they may NOT have known the tornado was on the ground before they issued the warning. That said, I would certainly agree with you based on the radar images that the warning should have been issued sooner than it was.

If I am reading it right, the report of the tornado went out at 1:27 with the listed time of the tornado as 12:37. So they may NOT have known the tornado was on the ground before they issued the warning. That said, I would certainly agree with you based on the radar images that the warning should have been issued sooner than it was.

John, you have a point. I'm going to delete that portion of my essay to be fair to the Raleigh NWS.

That said, it is nearly impossible to believe it took them more than an hour to confirm there had been a tornado! What do these people do all day??

I looks to me like Tor Warning #6 was issued at 12:31 EDT, the LSR was at 12:37 EDT (although may have not been entered until later), and they updated Tor Waning #6 at 12:37 EDT to say it was observed and law enforcement confirmed. Survey does say it started about 12:25 EDT, so it is true that the first 6 minutes was unwarned.

I looks to me like Tor Warning #6 was issued at 12:31 EDT, the LSR was at 12:37 EDT (although may have not been entered until later), and they updated Tor Waning #6 at 12:37 EDT to say it was observed and law enforcement confirmed. Survey does say it started about 12:25 EDT, so it is true that the first 6 minutes was unwarned.

Randy, I haven't seen the survey. It has not been posted on Twitter nor do I see it on their web site. Can you forward a link?

I really like this gentleman's youtube channel. He does a good job breaking down the event.

Cameron Nixon’s paper about MCV tornadoes referenced in the video:

Back