• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

SN Announcement - All Accounts Without NWS/EM Contact Information Disabled

John Wetter

SN President
Staff member
Today, May 11th at 15Z, any SN account that does not have a phone number associated with it in the NWS/Emergency Management contact information has been disabled. This change was previewed in the 2019 Newsletter and re-stated as required in the 2020 newsletter that went out earlier this spring.

What this means:
  • Until you update your contact information for the NWS/EM section, your dot will not appear on maps and you will not be able to report.

What to do:
  • Make sure your contact information is current!
  • Make sure you have a phone number on your NWS/EM contact page.
    • Note that there are three different sets of information: Public, Media, and NWS. Public contact is just that, it is public and appears in our data feed. You can provide as much or as little as you'd like in this feed (except your full name which is required to use the service). In your media contact, you can provide information for media organizations, perhaps contact information for your video broker, etc. Your NWS/EM contact should contain all of your information and is required to at least contain your phone number for verified NWS/EM contacts. This is so the NWS can follow up with you regarding reports or if you are in a location of interest but haven't made a report, they can call you. Because of this use it is best to provide your cell phone.
  • Once you provide a phone number, your account will be re-enabled
As a reminder, this does NOT require that you fill out your public information with your phone number, but does require that you fill out your NWS contact information. The entire purpose of SN is to provide information to the NWS and Emergency Managers so this step is now a required step instead of an encouraged step.

Ready to update your information? Log in Now!

Wondering if this action, disabling of accounts without NWS/EM Contact Information, has been placed into effect yet? Although the majority of SN icons appear to have the required information, there are still SN icons without it.

Regards,

Wondering if this action, disabling of accounts without NWS/EM Contact Information, has been placed into effect yet? Although the majority of SN icons appear to have the required information, there are still SN icons without it.

Regards,
Pretty sure the NWS/EM contact info is not displayed to the general public, so, unless you are defined in SpotterNetwork as a NWS/EM user, you should not be able to see anyone's NWS/EM contact info associated with an icon.

Regards,

Hi Billy,
As mentioned, the new contact requirements are for private NWS/EM only, which is what I'm seeing right now. There may be very little change in the public placefile.

Both Billy and I and a few other team members are registered as EM/NWS. We can use that particular placefile for GR3 that shows the
EM/NWS fields.

Hi there.I have updated my phone number on the NWS portion of my profile. Is the reactivation of my red dot position automatic of does it have to be verified manually by the moderator. Thx.

Back