Anniversary of Big Thompson Flash Flood

Mike Smith

Today is the 34th anniversary of the Big Thompson Canyon Flood in which more than 140 people died. I have posted some information about it on my blog here: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspot.com/2010/07/we-were-too-awe-struck-to-say-word.html

In addition to the comments at the blog about how Big Thompson led to changes at the NWS, this event was the first study of its type done by Eve Gruntfest. That, in turn, led her to the study of disaster warnings, WAS-IS, and other programs.

My family and I were driving through the canyon less than 2 weeks before the disaster. Even as a wee lad I remember marvelling at how steep the sides were and how narrow was the canyon.

Just like the tornado that hit my house 2 years earlier was the catalyst for my interest in severe weather/tornadoes, this incident sparked my interest in hydrometeorology.

I remember marveling at how steep the sides were and how narrow was the canyon.

_DSC0708c.jpg
In less than two years, it will be a 50th anniversary. Recently, I ventured into the water a bit when the Big Thompson River was not in flood stage, and you can get a flavor for the terrain in my photo. For scale, note the person sitting in the purple jacket in the right portion of the picture.
The advice that came from that disaster research recommended climbing up, not driving away. Signs along the winding road advise, "In case of flood, climb to safety." In some spots it appears impossible to scurry upwards; in other locations, you might be able to scramble or grab on the rocks, maybe hang onto trees, like your life depends upon it. (Which it would, if another foot of rain falls within four hours. like it did in 1976.)

Back