Android Tablets

Thought I would start a thread on Android Tablets to collect opinion and information from ST members.

2011 is expected to be the "Year of the Tablet" as more manufacturers try to tap into the market that Apple's iPad has discovered/manufactured. (It is a bit hilarious to think that we were joking about putting a camera in a giant iPad, and now they are often coming with two cameras - facing forwards and backwards.)

I also find it amusing that with the hoopla-laden Samsung Galaxy selling 10 million units in 6 months, it is described as
"a pocketable train wreck"
and
'Typically, the point of a compromise is to bring together the best of both sides. The Tab is like a compromise's evil twin, merging the worst of a tablet and the worst of a phone. It has all of the input problems of a tablet, with almost none of the consumption benefits."
- source

The early reviews of http://www.pykl3radar.com/ make it seem like it might be an Android app good enough for chasing (although the developer is apparently still looking for more Android tablet owners for beta testing purposes) making the Android platform a lower cost alternative to (the admittedly more polished) Radarscope on the iPhone/iPad.

Article: 10 best Android Tablets in the world (as of Nov. 10, 2010).

The Advent Vega is getting good - reviews, but the Archos 70 is the one that gets impressively high marks from owners - though its screen is a bit lower in resolution than others. Viewing angle is narrow, apparently on at least some of the Archos models.

Prices for Android tablets are low enough (put at .75 to $1 a day for a year) to make many gadget junkies want to grab one even if they intend to get a new one in another year or so (and pass the original one down to spouse or other family member). :)

Whether the tablet format is even useful/viable as compared to a netbook or inexpensive laptop is a whole topic in itself - particularly as it applies to chasing. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of ST gadgetheads on this topic.

I'm currently considering buying a tablet this year myself; I have a few observations so far based on my own requirements:

- The iPad is setting the standard for me. The screen is vibrant and the user-input works very well. It has the apps available on it that I would like to use. The size is good for my needs. Lots of accessories available (currently looking into mounting options)
- I've tried an Archos tablet and was unimpressed. Although the interface was intuitive enough I found it to be very "laggy". The display was uninspiring and I found it hard to read at an angle or in certain lighting arrangements.
- The 7" size of the Samsung Galaxy is not worth my time considering the price of the unit. Entirely depends on your needs of course.
- Android appears to be a great OS for smartphones, but I haven't found enough apps yet for what I would want to use the device for.
- the type of cell access (CDMA vs. GSM) is a big deal for me. Most remote places I go have little/no GSM coverage which is a handicap for my decision, however that's slowly changing. As far as I know the iPad is only offered in a GSM setup (besides the WiFi only version) which is something I would have to really think about before purchasing.

So for now I'm leaning towards the iPad, with reservations. Might be best to wait a bit though since there are other players coming to the table shortly.

I don't think we'll truly know the power and capabilities of Android tablets until Honeycomb is released which is the Android version specifically being built for tablets. CES will definitely give us a great sneak peek at them over the next couple of days. I'm particularly interested in new tablets from HTC (possibly called the Scribe) and from Motorola (possibly called the Xoom) which should both be demo'd this week at CES. As far as the current tablets running Android like the Galaxytab, and a bunch of other cheap knock offs, well, no thanks. I want Honeycomb. And I want a 4G chip in it. I thought for sure the Moto tablet was going to be for me but I've heard rumors that it will be 3G/Wifi only and NOT have a 4G radio in it. Hopefully this isn't true. Then a week or so after CES, Apple is more than likely going to announce the iPad2. So it's a great time to be in the market for a tablet!

As far as a tablet being a chase tool fully capable of replacing a laptop, I still think we're a year away on that unfortunately. The iPad can run Radarscope which is a great app. But there's no way for people who stream to plug a camera into it. It doesn't have any USB ports, doesn't have an SD card reader, or really anyway to plug anything into it for that matter. How great would it be to be able to dump some video from your camera onto an SD card and be able to plug it into the iPad and start doing some basic editing?! That would be awesome, but that will never ever happen. Apple still likes you to sync using iTunes and be part of their very boxed in ecosystem. I have only had Apple computers over the past decade or so and I love them but refuse to join the iOS community simply because of it's locked down nature. Android tablets on the other hand are kind of the opposite. They've got USB ports and SD card readers, etc so hardware wise, they might be okay. However, in their current versions, I don't see anyone tossing GR3 out in favor of the PYKL3 or Storm Chaser apps. Both have got potential galore and will get there eventually but like I said, it's probably a year away as a full on laptop replacement. I want tablets to be the answer so bad. I will be buying one this year too. I'm thinking I will be pairing a 4G LTE phone from Verizon with either the HTC or Motorola tablet and both will be vital tools while chasing it's just that my laptop will probably still be riding shotgun as well...

As far as I know the iPad is only offered in a GSM setup (besides the WiFi only version) which is something I would have to really think about before purchasing.

Rumors are getting more reliable as we approach the iPad v2 release.

4. Will have a CDMA alter-ego to support Verizon Wireless.

I'm currently getting Gateway Timeouts on Verizon's iPad and iPad Data Plan pages. Will be interesting to see if the rumors of Steve Jobs making an iPad2 announcement to preempt CES 2011 tablet announcements (where Apple does not participate). I would think that it would be an ill-advised move to announce a new iPad so soon after Xmas (when thousands and thousands of Gen 1 iPads found new homes).
:)

I can certainly see why, living in the Denver area. Sadly, 3G and 4G not too important to those of us in outstate Nebraska. :\ And not terribly relevant to non-metro stormchases. :)
Oh I know 4G will only be in metro areas to start and 4G is still pretty irrelevant for storm chasing purposes, but I guess it's the principle. CES is being built up to be this big mega 4G launch event and if Moto brings out a tablet and says, "4G is awesome! But this can't do that." then I'll be pretty disappointed.

I have both the Samsung Tab and the Apple iPad. I don't really like the Samsung Tab because Verizon and other data providers tie you into their contract per month. You have to pay at least $20/month on Verizon just to have the tablet even though it is non-commitment. They say no-commitment but require you to have a data plan to keep the tablet active. You have to pay for at least the 1GB plan.

The Android platform is great if you want more open-ness in the applications and running background tasks, and stuff like that. Apple is good if you want a platform that has App Quality Control (QC) and things such as push notifications (from Apple's servers) and limited backgrounding (multi-tasking).

Right now I don't know which is the best platform as a developer, but I have been sticking with the iPad for development.

Thanks,
Christopher Zenzel

The Motorola Xoom (horrible name)

I've been addicted to the CES feeds, and the Xoom was the one that made me drool the most. Fairly certain I'm going to chase with this in 2011.

Scott Hammel said:
I have only had Apple computers over the past decade or so and I love them but refuse to join the iOS community simply because of it's locked down nature. Android tablets on the other hand are kind of the opposite. They've got USB ports and SD card readers, etc so hardware wise, they might be okay. However, in their current versions, I don't see anyone tossing GR3 out in favor of the PYKL3 or Storm Chaser apps. Both have got potential galore and will get there eventually but like I said, it's probably a year away as a full on laptop replacement. I want tablets to be the answer so bad.

I'm with you 100%. I love my MBP and my iPhone, but I have no desire to develop for them, and RadarScope might be the best we ever have on iOS. If you're not streaming, the benefits of tablets are amazing - double the battery life of a laptop, small form factor so they are truly ultra portable, and multi-touch screen interface. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I've been playing with my own GR3-like app for Windows lately, and with all the tablet goodness coming out of CES I think I'm going to develop it for the Android platform instead.

Quoted from previous post-
The early reviews of http://www.pykl3radar.com/ make it seem like it might be an Android app good enough for chasing (although the developer is apparently still looking for more Android tablet owners for beta testing purposes) making the Android platform a lower cost alternative to (the admittedly more polished) Radarscope on the iPhone/iPad.

Thus far, have received only positive feedback from those who have installed the application on Android tablets and taken the time to tell me about it. While Radarscope is more polished, it also has been around a lot longer. At the same time, as those who have contacted me will likely attest, I offer a very open door when it comes to my product and welcome user feedback and even go as far as acknowledging feature requests publicly. In essence, my direction is directly driven by what the users want and make it easy for them to get a hold of me. That, I believe, is somewhat rare in the software industry. What's the difference? Probably my philosophy. I'm not looking to get rich or have this be my sole source of income. Money doesn't drive me. I've written this because I'd I have a passion for technology and weather. I desire a nice radar app for my devices. I have the knowledge required (both technical and meteorological) and just like making something useful. If people like it and are willing to help support the effort, then its just icing on the cake. The program is not for everyone. In addition, I believe that, given the substantive number of chasers out there, only a small percentage actually make the effort to support science and public safety (regardless of what they may believe in their head.) So, I want to also make it easier for people to report what they see in a timely manner and will attempt to continue to make it easier. This, in turn, can save lives and property.
There really is so much more I want to do with this software and have no plans to stop anytime soon. Admittedly, the Android platform has a lot of limitations, especially with regard to memory. I find myself making work-arounds for just about everything I do as compared to writing for a PC platform. Still, I enjoy the challenge!
Joe

I decided on a Viewsonic G Tablet, and with a few features incoming on the PYKL3 front, it will likely end up replacing GR in my car. Not trying to give Joe a fat head or anything, but PYKL3 has already come a long way in a short time, and Joe's eagerness to add useful features and join the community here at ST just cements my belief that it can be a great GR replacement without losing important functionality. PYKL3 works great on my tablet now, with the exception of no support for landscape mode (which is coming soon).

For anyone else looking at the G tablet here are my thoughts:

1) The hardware is awesome for what you pay. Tegra 2 dual core CPU running at 1ghz, 512MB of ram, 1024x600 resolution, 1 mini USB port, 1 USB port, WiFi/Bluetooth, and a beefy 3650mAh battery all for less than $400 with rebates.
2) The default software is horrible and almost unusable. Viewsonic has made this device very easy to root and they actually participate in the hacking community and encourage people to install custom ROMs on it. I had no idea what I was doing, and in 30 minutes I had a custom ROM installed that worked perfectly.
3) You'll likely want to get a bluetooth GPS unit for chasing if you don't have one because there is no built-in GPS. Install BlueGPS4Droid and configure your device to allow Mock Locations, and you're good to go. I was bummed out with the built in GPS on my Droid X and my iPhone, so not having a built-in GPS wasn't a big deal to me.
4) You'll need to do the "market fix" to see PYKL3. If it's your first time, you might need to perform it a few times with reboots in between.
5) No built-in cell chips, so you need to have Internet some other way (WiFi).

tl;dr It's an awesome tablet if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Wow, it's funny looking back at a few of my posts drooling over the Xoom...haha, an $800 pricetag can sure change your mind. Anyway, was curious if anyone was lucky enough to get an Asus Transformer yesterday? Apparently the initial supply was very small and only a few folks got one. I have an order in and it's supposed to ship in the first couple weeks of May but who knows? It's got an awesome keyboard peripheral a la the Atrix. Anyone get lucky yesterday?

Back