And so, it begins: a new era of radar meteorology in the United States.

Depends on the software you are using. I think it'll be included with GR3, I know it's an extra (already available and has a trial) for GR2/2AE. Not sure about other vendors.

I knew about AE, but I didnt see a link for GR2 on the GRS site.

Thanks for the info by the way. =)

Somewhat related and somewhat unrelated question...

Does NWSFO_OUN have access to KOUN radar on north base? As we all know that radar has always been a dual-pole research radar but Im curious if OUN has been able to use KTLX and KOUN as part of their normal operations.

Yes, everyone has access to OUN on Level II. As I mentioned above, it's been feeding dual-pol data since last year. I can pop it up right now on GR2AE and see the plots.

Guess - proximity to Norman without actually taking the OKC radar out of service.

REMINDER - if you want to use DP data, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the training course. It will make the process much easier for you than if we have 47 different threads here asking for basic info. Learn what is already provided then ask. If you expect to just pull up a DP moment and start interpreting, you'll crash and burn.

http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/courses/dualpol/Outreach/index.html

Does anyone know why they opted to start with KVNX? It's the worst radar in Oklahoma with massive obstruction issues...

Brandon, here's some info I got from WDT's dual-pol expert, Chris Porter:

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]At 1705 UTC today the first WSR-88D network radar, KVNX (Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma), went live with dual-pol capability. We should have the data within iMap very soon. [/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]KVNX wasn’t originally slated to be upgraded to dual-pol until near the end of the rollout. Unofficial word is the powers-to-be wanted to quickly upgrade an 88D radar to compare with KOUN before proceeding with the rollout in late April. Additional issues with the upgrade procedure apparently still need to be ironed out. There still has been no notification as to what the new rollout schedule will be, but that should become available sometime this month.[/FONT]
We have already done the work to display dual-pol in iMap, so live data will be available for viewing soon. Here's an example of ZDR from KOUN:
164316_930445263167_9631690_47254548_814580_n.jpg

Back