An Idea for Funding Jeff Wear's Memorial Fund

This evening (Fri. 7-15) I decided to kick back and visit Jeff Wear's website. I intended to do it earlier in the day, but mentally I wasn't quite where I wanted to be, and besides...I didn't want to be constraigned timewise when I basically began sifting through all the best tstuff hat Jeff Wear wanted to share with the rest of "the clan" on his website.
It's eerie to me to be wandering through his site. I almost feel that I'm treading on sacred ground. I've had buddies that have died and have felt this same weirdness when I've heard their voices still outgoing on their message machines. Things like this make me feel very mortal.....I guess it does to a lot of us.
My idea was born when going through Jeff's website. I saw that he has a couple of chase videos for sale.
I do not know who the survivor(s) are that will be going through Jeff's house / apartment / belongings. But...if any one of the "clan" that reads this....I believe that we could raise a great deal of money for his survivor's fund if the master copies of those videos could be nabbed...copied...and placed on StormTrack for sale. I know that I'd buy 'em both...perhaps several copies of each, keep the two and give the rest of 'em to some of the neighboring schools in my area.
If this sounds like a decent idea.....who in this forum was closest to Jeff and could make sure the master copies of those videos didn't get lost in the shuffle?

Originally posted by joel ewing
I do not know who the survivor(s) are that will be going through Jeff's house / apartment / belongings. But...if any one of the \"clan\" that reads this....I believe that we could raise a great deal of money for his survivor's fund if the master copies of those videos could be nabbed...copied...and placed on StormTrack for sale. I know that I'd buy 'em both...perhaps several copies of each, keep the two and give the rest of 'em to some of the neighboring schools in my area.
If this sounds like a decent idea.....who in this forum was closest to Jeff and could make sure the master copies of those videos didn't get lost in the shuffle?

Someone close to Jeff has already talked to me about doing something like this, however we felt it best to leave some grieving time to the family before opening that up for discussion with them. They have expressed interest in preserving his work. As you have already read, the site is being preserved. No doubt the other part will be in some way as well I expect. I am sure they have TONS to do right now on top of all sorts of arrangements and whatnot. Handling something like that probably needs to be a little lower on their priority list for the time being. It's a good idea though.

Oh, I heartily agree with everything you stated, David. In case I didn't communicate it very well, I sure didn't mean that the family should have to pick up the reins and start making copy after copy of his videos and then start dealing with selling them.
I just know from my personal experience, is that in times like these there is a risk that stuff can get tossed without thinking...and if there were
a person within this clan that was close to the family....it would be nice to grab ahold of his master copies.
When my wife's beloved father died (Colonel USAF) died, her mother one day just went half berserk and threw out everything that was his...including all the medals that he had earned in battle, etc. etc. The ONLY thing my wife ended up with was an old shirt that thankfully he had given me that didn't fit him anymore....and wouldn't fit me. Somehow, I had saved it, and when I gave it to her.........she broke down and bawled...not knowing that I even had it. That's what I'm talking about....grief makes different people act differently.

Of course. A lot will need to be worked out, but if I am involved, I intent for the end result to be that everything beyond just material production costs (i.e. DVD/Tape blanks, etc) be forwarded on to his family. I would certainly be honored if it works out in the end to handle it. I am usually TERRIBLE at dealing with situations as far as what to do for someone, or what to say etc when something like this happens. When it came to the website and the video, at least it's something I can contribute that I know about.

I think what Tim has been doing with these donations is great. It's not just the cost of the airfare either, it's probably rental cars and shipping of stuff and motels and eating on the road. We of all people know how those costs can rapidly add up. I think it's good for them to know as well that in storm chasers, Jeff in effect ended up having a second family or sorts too.

One really neat thing that has come out of all this that Jeff has given us.... Has anyone noticed we (collectively) haven't been sniping at each other at all since we heard the news? It brought us all closer, even if just for a time.

Originally posted by David Drummond+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Drummond)</div>
I am usually TERRIBLE at dealing with situations as far as what to do for someone, or what to say etc when something like this happens. [/b]

What you've done so far speaks clearly. With compassion and respect for Jeff and his family. These situations can make anyone feel awkward. At the end of the day it's one's actions that define who they are. You're a class act David. We all appreciate what you are doing.

<!--QuoteBegin-David Drummond

One really neat thing that has come out of all this that Jeff has given us.... Has anyone noticed we (collectively) haven't been sniping at each other at all since we heard the news? It brought us all closer, even if just for a time.

I agree completely. I didn't know Jeff personally. Only from this forum and his site. But I think we all can identify with him. His passing is a tragic loss that we all feel. I know it will only make me savor each storm that much more. Every day is a blessing. Every chase is a gift. Even the busts.

When the time is right you can put me down for a few copies of Jeff's videos.

db

Back