Alec Baldwin to Star in 'Supercell' Action Pic

interpreted the death of Bill Brody Sr. as alluding to the death of Tim Samaras and the TWISTEX crew in 2013
You interpreted this correctly. At the Q&A after the premier James Langford commented on this and thanked Director Jamie Winterstern on his tasteful nod to Samaras and Jamie thanked him for noticing that. I am amazed by how much effort Jamie put into learning about chasing and the chasing community. In just a couple years he learned a lot and he picked up on a lot of the nuances that many new chasers these days never seem to pick up on. He still chases even though the movie is done.

A few other interesting things about this movie: the story the Roy Cameron charter tells about the check on the dining room being the only thing that survives a tornado is a story that a clerk at a gas station in Shamrock told Jamie when he was chasing in real life. Another fun fact - the name "Brody" is an easter egg. It is a nod to Spielberg. Police Chief Martin Brody is the fictional character and the protagonist in Jaws.

I was hoping to see this on the big screen (despite the fact that the breakdown of civil society invariably results in idiots in the row behind me inconsiderately talking throughout the entire movie like they are in their own living rooms - but I digress…)

However, it is not playing in the theater near me, and I don’t think Philadelphia is a release location. I plan to watch it on Amazon Prime tomorrow, due to other commitments today…

Here‘s a review I found: Supercell (2023) - Movie Review

This line from the review has me even more excited to see it: “…sluggish patches are far too didactic about storm chasing; it’s akin to being in a science class.” Fantastic! As long as even half-accurate, those may turn out to be my favorite parts! It’s also a way to share storm chasing with family members that have never done it.

Really can’t understand anyone that says they won’t see it. If you truly love storms and storm chasing, how can you not want to see a movie that has storm chasing as its main theme??? There simply aren’t too many of them, so how could you not be interested to see how it is portrayed, to see this fringe hobby of ours highlighted in a movie??? It’s like a boxer refusing to watch a Rocky movie, or a martial artist refusing to watch The Karate Kid. Your loss, you’re only spiting yourself by being such a purist.
Well, the trailer made it look pretty crappy. I’m assuming it’s better.
The trailer lost me at “You’re welcome”.

Finally caught up on this and... it's perfectly fine. It's a strange one in that the movie goes out of its way to be faithful to chasing, using College of DuPage, the Storm Track drawings, etc etc, but then forgot to have some proper sense of narrative style. Characters don't really evolve, they don't breathe, there's not even really a sense of getting to know anyone, it's more just steamroll through the story and hope it works out.

Other than numerous continuity issues (chasing in Nebraska but at an I-90 overpass) and a 25 year old playing a 16 year old (good try by Diemer but really that’s asking too much) I really enjoyed the movie. The use of terminology and references to past events (Hallam, El Reno, Jarrell) was largely accurate and I liked the actual storm footage that was utilized. While some aspects to chasing were realistic others weren’t (entire diner filled exclusively with chasers clears out when target for the day is announced…or something like that). I thought overall the acting was good (Baldwin did a great job of playing Baldwin!) and the storyline interesting and plausible. The bottom line for me is I was entertained (I’m simple like that, just entertain me) and it was definitely worth the $2.25 Redbox DVD rental.

Saw this a month ago. Agree it was entertaining.

I just wanted the explanation of the storm compass box thingy! What does that compass DO? At least invent an excuse for it and try to explain it. Was it detecting aliens or the tornado or what? 😂

If I had a storm compass like that, maybe I would have less busts. Anyone have a schematic?

Michael pointed out the part of the movie I really had trouble with. The diner full of exclusively chasers wasn’t plausible, but the place emptying out like a teenage party getting raided by the cops took the cake. It must have been a storm going from not there on radar to tornado warned in one click.

Michael pointed out the part of the movie I really had trouble with. The diner full of exclusively chasers wasn’t plausible, but the place emptying out like a teenage party getting raided by the cops took the cake. It must have been a storm going from not there on radar to tornado warned in one click.

If I recall correctly the diner was in Liberal KS and an update came in from some source (like an SPC Outlook or something similar) that the target was for the day was in western Nebraska. The entire diner emptied and subsequently the main characters also left for Nebraska...but on the way there you see a sign for the Texas state line...which is not on the way to Nebraska. Why was the diner full of chasers (seemingly 100% chasers?) when the previous day's activity was in Texas and that day's action in Nebraska? And then ALL bolt on an update as if they were clueless up to that point where to target that day? Also, one other scene that didn't add up was the scene featuring our own @Skip Talbot. ALL chasers congregating at the gas station take off to chase the storm, so urgently they leave the kid Brody behind. Minutes later a tornado hits the gas station location and the kid rides it out in a phone booth. So all these chasers leave a location that will imminently be hit by a tornado to chase elsewhere? That's some bad chasing and while it might pass with a general audience this is a scenario I'm sure most chasers could never see playing out in the real world. It's been over a month since I watched so I may have some details wrong but that's how I remember those scenes, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also not trashing the movie, to reiterate despite some inconsistencies and unrealistic scenarios I liked it!

Oh yeah! Those scenes where everyone runs out are a bit silly. The other thing was the bear's cage being the biggest scariest thing ever. Bit much, but hey, it's entertainment!

I think the misplaced Texas road signs are an easter egg to Twister - which had a ton of errors like that. Movie was filmed in Montana and zheogia, so any Texas road signs are intententional.

So all these chasers leave a location that will imminently be hit by a tornado to chase elsewhere? That's some bad chasing

I think that was an homage to the olden days in which storm chasers would drive out of the path to document the tornado from a reasonable distance instead of just waiting around until they're literally run over by it. I know the former is considered bad chasing now given how the latter is rewarded ;)

Meanwhile, I reprised my role of "complacent local" on Thursday, watching from the porch and shrugging off the threat only to have an EF2 spin-up three miles south of my house.

1688317340695.png

Back