After 10 Years, I've Separated from Verizon

It's strange to me how difficult a decision this was for me, but after months of contemplating and several factors falling into place, I have made a switch to AT&T, a company whom I have never worked with in my years of cellular usage.

I have had this debate for months, starting last July after wrapping up last season... the coverage of Verizon, while amazing in most areas, gave me fits in some heavily traveled areas, including parts of I-70 in Colorado and Kansas. The 4G speeds are incredible, and I will miss the coverage. However I could no longer justify the price, and it was hard to make a switch within the company given the 30GB plan I acquired years ago during a 50% off special. It was priced so well that it made no sense to switch to any other plan for the price.

But having just paid off all my phones, all my contracts were up, and I had been shopping religiously to see if it made sense to make a change. And having chased with some folks who use AT&T, and seeing their map in comparison to Verizon's, I figured it was time to make the change. I got the unlimited plan plus, which saved me $50/month, plus I got a $25/month discount on DirecTV, which totals up to $75.

Also, I added the vehicle wifi plan and device which is another $20 for unlimited for that one, but even still come in $30/month lower than what I was going to have with Verizon, even after the phone payments were dropped.

Now while I am done with Verizon personally, I am getting periodic access, maybe permanent with my station thanks to a company iPhone, that will allow me access to Verizon in times when AT&T aren't available. That was kind of the final push, having access to Verizon on occasion.

How's everyone's experience with AT&T? So far, I am liking it locally, and love the Galaxy S8 Plus I got through them. I am very eager to give it the first field test.

I keep it as a backup. Verizon isn't bad if you're on a shared plan. I get a discount through one of the stations I chase for as well. ATT is great for me as well because I have a friend that works for Walmart and it's at least half off. I forget the exact percentage. Love my s8 plus as well. Just depends on where you chase I'm sure. Here, Verizon rules as far as coverage. Even in the national forest areas, I rarely turn on my amp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Stormtrack mobile app

My chase partner, Chadwick - KD5UMO, has used AT&T for years and is happy. He almost always has coverage. when chasing - even in dead areas like SE OK. I just started using Verizon prepaid this year to chase with and I have also been very happy, although all of our chases so far this year have been within a 100 miles or so north or south of the Red River. We will see how they compare as the season goes on. On a recent chase both of us lost data briefly a couple of times, but we never lost data at the same time. Once I get external antennas for my hotspot, I suspect my coverage will improve. If you still have Verizon as a backup, you are probably in good shape.

I've very very rarely had any outages in Eastern CO with Verizon, but I also run with a booster, so full 4G coverage 90% or the time.

Keep us updated.

I use AT&T's prepaid GoPhone service, and have for about 2 years since switching from Sprint. I have a mil-grade Kyocera Android device that I use for phonecalls, Zello PTT, and backup hotspot use and a standalone Sierra Wireless hotspot with external antennas as my primary internet access for my laptop. The service is second to none. My data allowance is pretty low, 10GB on the Kyocera and 5GB on the Sierra, but I also don't consume a lot of data either. I do have a Verizon Jetpack hotspot on a prepaid plan, also with external antenna, that I have as a backup, but have never had to use it.

What kind of deal overall did you get from AT&T, as in total monthly price?

I've kept my Verizon smartphone and hotspot and added a Cricket smartphone plan this year, which is running on AT&T. It's been nice to be able to switch between providers

That right there is the best of both worlds, having Verizon and AT&T together. I have yet to go out in the field with both services, but it's my goal to have such a setup one day. A mobile router with multiple carrier functionality where SIM cards can be easily swapped in and out of the modem. The mobile market is ever-evolving and interesting new products are being rolled out all the time. It's a matter of finding the right deal at the right price that checks all of the boxes. Not to mention committing to the change and seeing it through, which is where Tony finds himself right now.

If I were going to mainly chase eastern Colorado, western Nebraska and Kansas I would even consider Viaero wireless as a backup as they have a huge presence in those rural areas. I suppose you have to live in their service area to qualify as a customer, but their signs are everywhere you go in tri-state region previously mentioned.

I have Verizon for my hotspot and primary chase data provider. I have 2 smartphones, both on AT&T. I rarely lose data on my Verizon hotspot. When I do, my AT&T is almost alway gone as well. So nothing will help in those situations. If needed, I could use one of my phones as a hotspot if I had AT&T service, but Verizon was out. At this point, I don't plan to change this setup. Verizon primary data, AT&T primary voice/backup data

After last years chase season, I'm convinced that AT&T has partnered with Viaero. Solid 4g in Colorado where I had nothing or marginal 3G the previous year. Also decent 4g in the Nebraska panhandle and along the I80 corridor, where I've had nothing in previous chase seasons.

Back