911 recording from Kenosha County Tornado on 1/7/08

I think people are complacent, too, having sat in the bathtub several times with no consequence. How long has the terror alert been "Elevated" across the nation now? The problem with alerts is that they cover a very broad area.

It won't be long before the NWS will be able to warn for specific storm tracks, not just entire counties. One of my clients writes emergency response software for emergency dispatch centers. The software I was shown last week had a map on the computer of all houses and streets in a county. (Very similar to a satellite Google map.) He drew on the screen a freehand shape with his mouse and within two seconds had a list of all phone numbers from all the houses inside the area he had drawn, ready to dump into a "reverse 911" system. (R911 was used with some success during the San Diego fires as well.) If such a system were commonplace, a storm's track could be drawn in this way and very specific people could be notified with a recorded message. It will be a while before such a system is nationwide and working smoothly with all kinds of phone lines, but the days of county-level granularity for warnings are numbered IMO, and that gives me some hope and relief that complacent people will soon have a real reason to take a warning seriously.

Plus, think of the fun of prank-calling your chasing buddies with fake R911, or keeping a red phone by the tub.

Skilling has been on vacation for 2 weeks so it was the CLTV crew doing the weather that day. i think it was Tim Mcgill

Lol I wasn't serious I was just making a point that people usually follow the word of their trusted guy,people do take Skilling's forecast to heart...he is the number one Met in the region why wouldn't you as a common person without knowledge of the atmosphere and the way things work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder, is anyone from Milwaukee area Skywarn on the board? I'd be interested to hear how the Skywarn net went, or if that was late/didn't happen...

-John

I wonder, is anyone from Milwaukee area Skywarn on the board? I'd be interested to hear how the Skywarn net went, or if that was late/didn't happen...

-John

I don't know if Skip Voros is on ST or not...but I'm on his e-mail list. I'm sure he'll post a write-up of some sort on this. If he does, I'll post it.

It won't be long before the NWS will be able to warn for specific storm tracks, not just entire counties. One of my clients writes emergency response software for emergency dispatch centers. The software I was shown last week had a map on the computer of all houses and streets in a county. (Very similar to a satellite Google map.) He drew on the screen a freehand shape with his mouse and within two seconds had a list of all phone numbers from all the houses inside the area he had drawn, ready to dump into a "reverse 911" system. (R911 was used with some success during the San Diego fires as well.) If such a system were commonplace, a storm's track could be drawn in this way and very specific people could be notified with a recorded message. It will be a while before such a system is nationwide and working smoothly with all kinds of phone lines, but the days of county-level granularity for warnings are numbered IMO, and that gives me some hope and relief that complacent people will soon have a real reason to take a warning seriously.

Ya, but what about the people who dont have home phone service? I haven't had a home phone in 6 years. I use my cellphone all the time. Also what if the phone system is down? My point is that there are wonderful ideas out there, but no one failsafe method to alert the public of what is coming.

Chris

Emergency dispatchers certainly have my utmost respect. These people are "masters of chaos". And they get tossed chaotic situations on a daily basis but always manage to turn the complete chaos into workable, coordinated responses by emergency personnel.

Lol I wasn't serious I was just making a point that people usually follow the word of their trusted guy,people do take Skilling's forecast to heart...he is the number one Met in the region why wouldn't you as a common person without knowledge of the atmosphere and the way things work.
Let's qualify that by saying number one TELEVISION met. Besides, he is not even a real met anyway. No degree.

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:49 am
Subject: SKYWARN: Kenosha Tornado Response & Recovery

DATE: January 15, 2008 4:30 p.m.
TO: Governor Jim Doyle, Wisconsin Congressional Delegation, State Legislators

SUBJECT: STATE SUMMARY OF KENOSHA COUNTY TORNADO RESPONSE
AND RECOVERY EFFORTS

OVERVIEW - On Monday, January 7, severe storms caused two tornadoes in Southeast
Wisconsin. According to the National Weather Service the first tornado spun up in southeast
Walworth County and then tracked through the Wheatland and Brighton areas of Western
Kenosha County. The second tornado occurred in the town of Somers and on the north side
of the city of Kenosha. The tornado that went through the Wheatland/New Munster area in
Western Kenosha County has been given a preliminary rating of EF-3, with estimated top winds
between 150-160 mph, by the National Weather Service Storm Survey Team. The other tornado
was ranked an EF-1 with tornadic winds in the 86 mph to 110 mph range.

DAMAGE AMOUNTS - According to Kenosha County Emergency Management, 27 homes or
buildings were destroyed, 32 homes had major damage and 46 homes had minor damage. Damage
estimates are over $18 million however it appears that a high percentage of damage to residential
areas is covered by private insurance.

KENOSHA COUNTY - Kenosha County declared a State of Emergency. Mutual aid from
surrounding communities was used in the response efforts.

STATE OF WISCONSIN - Governor Doyle toured the tornado damaged areas on January 8 and
issued a State of Emergency for Kenosha County. The Executive Order was issued in order to
expedite any additional state personnel and resources that may be needed in the response and
recovery missions. Both Wisconsin State Patrol and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
provided some staffing to assist with law enforcement during the initial response phase, but since the
order was issued no additional state resources have been requested by Kenosha County.

WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT - Wisconsin Emergency Management partially
activated the state Emergency Operations Center in Madison at around 6:00 p.m. on January 7 as
a result of the storms and tornadoes. The WEM region director was dispatched to Kenosha County
immediately after the disaster to provide technical assistance to the county emergency management
director. Since then WEM staff have been in contact with Kenosha County Emergency Management
daily in addition to attending various local meetings, including one in the Town of Wheatland on January 14.
WEM is also working with volunteer agencies and thecounty on long-term recovery issues. A meeting will
be held on January 17 to further coordinate these efforts.

FEDERAL DISASTER ASSISTANCE - The state is awaiting final numbers from Kenosha County
to determine if under federal thresholds, the county would be eligible for federal disaster assistance.
Disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is to ensure impacted
individuals have a safe, secure and sanitary place to live in the immediate aftermath of a disaster and
that they have essential personal property for their dwelling. The FEMA programs are not intended to
cover all uninsured or underinsured losses and will not make an individual whole or bring them back to
their pre-disaster status. The federal disaster programs include disaster housing and Other Needs grants
from FEMA, with a maximum grant of $28,800 and loans from the Small Business Administration.

STATE DISASTER ASSISTANCE - The State of Wisconsin does not have a disaster assistance
program for individuals. However, there is the State Disaster Fund which can be used to assist
communities hit with disasters for debris removal, protective measures and road damage if federal
aid is not available. Kenosha County has expressed an intent to apply for this program.

Kenosha County could also apply for a Community Development Block Grant from the WI Department
of Commerce. Department of Commerce officials have contacted Kenosha County Emergency
Management regarding this program. If approved, that funding could be used for individual unmet
needs. For more information, contact Wisconsin Emergency Management at 608-242-3232.

Only one other tornado occurred in Wisconsin in January and that was in 1967. My guess is that was the reason there was so many calls to 911 asking why the sirens were activated. Even for those interested in weather, we were not even in a slight risk that morning when most people left for work. Easy to get caught off guard when it is once in a lifetime storm.

He has a bachelor's in meteorology from Wisconsin-Madison.
This is what I got from the WGN web site:

In 1970, Skilling moved to Madison, Wis., to study meteorology and journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, while continuing to work in radio.

Studying it is not the same as graduating and getting a degree. Please show me something that says he actually received a degree in meteorology. Not that I have looked real hard, but I have never came across anything that has actually said that. If I am wrong I stand corrected and I will say I am sorry to him when he is on TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to believe that his little brother (Jeffry Skilling) was the CEO of Enron who fell from grace and is now in prison for 25 years. The two couldn't possibly be any different.

It's hard to believe that his little brother (Jeffry Skilling) was the CEO of Enron who fell from grace and is now in prison for 25 years. The two couldn't possibly be any different.
yet they both made it very big in their respective fields.

Back