9/8/06 REPORT: Qc, Canada *rescued*

**rescued post**

JF Massicotte

Location: L'Assomption, Qc, CanadaPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:03 am Post subject: 9/8/06 REPORT: Qc, Canada 9:00: After looking at Sat, Soundings and surface maps, I decided this was going to be a nice day for chasing. I was expecting at least one supercell about 50 miles north of Montreal. Too bad I wasn't interested by going into Ontario where I knew chances were better (warmer over there). Wind shear was so nice I was already saying we could see a supercell today (see there: supercell in Québec in September)

13:00 Another chaser arrives at my home while he hopes developpement to be early (he has stuff to do)

15:00 Dewpoints are suffering all around the region, there is not even a cloud in the sky. I hoped the lack of moisture would be compensated by excellent wind shear and excellent lifting provided by and outflow boundary entering the region. I was now hoping for LP Supercell.

16:40 My friend leaves, while he leaves we can see some developpement in the north

17:00 Radar shows a nice developpement in the north running towards Trois-Rivières. I leave home for trois Rivières where my regular chase partner Steeve L. who was still at work lives.

Here is the radar image at this time
TR2100UTC.gif

17:00 - 18:00 I watch the developpement of the anvil at my 10s while I am driving to T-R. I soon lose any sight of it since it is now at my 9s and 8s and there is much traffic on the highway

18:00 I call him while I arrive at T-R and god he is glad I'm here since there have been a meso living for one hour and approaching the region (no... really?). From his home I see one of the nicest anvil I could see (but I also found out I had no more batteries in my Digital Camera arrrrg, well good thing my partner had one working), there was no cloud blocking the view (this is rare in Québec). With radar imagery we can see the storm was not going to hit us directly but 30 km south-west. We decide to move on the other side of the storm.

And now the radar image at this time (I am now at complete top-left part of the map, north of the river)
TR2200UTC.gif

18:20 We have a clear view on the cell from the highway, we are still North-East of it but the low precipitations let us see the wall cloud behind it. by the way lightning flashes were very nice. At this time we had the choice to exit the highway right there and try to turn around it from west or go straight ahead and go from the south. we decided to go south, and it was a bad decision. We lost sight of the meso in the rain and never found it back. The storm seemed to be a big rain producer at this time. What was probably a LP supercell was now giving much rain. While following it we could see a potential microgust hit (trees were down, small branches on road). We also found many spots of weaker gusts.

18:45 My partner tried to get a few flashes from behind the storm since these lights were damn nice. He found out that taking light pictures during the day is quite hard.

19:30 Back at his home we take the decision to go to Berthier (60 km south-west) and take a few flashes from the T-storms that were severe at this moment (See radar images to see storms position)

20:15 - 21:20 We did see a few flashes and a weak gust but we had to try to take pictures from inside of the car because of the rain. We had some fun taking videos.

22:00 - 23:00 While coming back at my home I withnessed a few really nice flashes, chase is over.

Conclusion... I probably saw my first LP supercell, these are rare here and the chase was worth the move. However, the decision to try to go south wasn't that good because we already had clear view on everything. Also we didn't expect the cell to move sooo quickly north-east at this time... I still do not understand how this could happen, it's like if it moved at 50 kt for 15 minutes while it did move at 30 the rest of the time.... I will need to make research on this since after this move it wasn't a LP supercell anymore (maybe a HP??? We couldn't get any velocity archives since Steeve's computer was down due to a short power failure).

Any of you have withnessed a cell acting like this?

While we did not see any severe weather (exept a possible microgust), I will wait to see Evironement Canada's report to see if any hail was reported on the field. Radar imagery told us that severe hail in the storm was highly possible, even if we did not withness any.

Simon Paquette

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:53 pm

It's my pics for the same day **pics were blocked from the image provider**

more pics and chase report on my ACO page comming soon
-Observateur Volontaire for Environnement Canada
-member of nature insolite
[email protected]Simon Paquette

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:04 pm Post subject: more pic and my chase report (french) is on my ACO page

link : http://www.chasseurs-orages.org/acov2/images/chasseurs/simonpaquette/8septembre2006sp.htm
-Observateur Volontaire for Environnement Canada
-member of nature insolite
[email protected]

Back