9/22/06 DISC: IL / MO / AR / KY / TN / IN

i dont think he said dan said it was an F1 tornado i think hes reffering to the weather channel saying that dans video was of an F1 tornado.....i dont know dan personally but ive seen his work and know him to be a very experienced chaser/photographer so i dont think he would say that....so i dont know if this is misinterpreted or not, but i got it as the weather channel commented on his video.....

i dont think he said dan said it was an F1 tornado i think hes reffering to the weather channel saying that dans video was of an F1 tornado.....i dont know dan personally but ive seen his work and know him to be a very experienced chaser/photographer so i dont think he would say that....so i dont know if this is misinterpreted or not, but i got it as the weather channel commented on his video.....

It was the weather channel's Jim Cantori, when i was in Montgomery City MO, in a hotel i was watching the video over and over, and he said its amazing this tornado looks like an F-4 or something but caused F1 damage or something.. this was before they knew about Crosston sorry if i confused you ( Dan R. ) is very good at what he does i know...

the reason that the weather channel was saying f-1 was dan himself said on the air (via telephone) that at that point it was causing f-1 (estimated) damage.

(This should go in the DISC thread, mods feel free to move) The damage at the point the tornado crossed the road on Highway 3 was F1-F2 range max. This is mostly because the area we observed the tornado was the Mississippi floodplain, which is mostly flat, open fields with little for the tornado to hit. When we first saw the tornado, it was across the river in Missouri and we were unaware of the F4 damage it was doing at the time.

The houses we saw along Highway 3 in IL (in the path) had minimal damage. Tree damage was fairly widespread in the path, but not extreme (snapped trunks but no debarking or complete defoliation), hence our original F1 estimate.

As Dan noted, only first-hand chaser reports are allowed in REPORTS thread. Discussion such as this is not permitted in REPORTS threads; it belongs in a DISC thread. :)

dont be stupid. he said the damage he saw looked minimal. it wasnt an official rating. dan is way more experienced than you, so i suggest you not disrespect his opinion.

Pulling out the chaser pecker size chart here is pretty pointless. I mean it's a freaking opinion on a tornado/video. He heard about the severity of the damage from it, see's the big wedge on video, what exactly is so crazy to think it is over a little F1? I guess I missed the part where he stated what DanR saw wasn't minimal(as far as damage).

Last edited by a moderator:
what im saying is that when they recieved the video, they talked to dan on the phone. on the air. there were no official damage estimates at that time. they asked dan to estimate the damage that HE saw. so he told them f-1 to low end f-2. so from then on when they showed the video, they said it was an estimated f-1.

and mike, i think that on the case of damage estimates, experience is pretty important.

Mike S. first off i was at the hotel i didnt hear dan robinson talking about what he was rating it or saying about it all i saw was Jim Cantori, talking and he mentioned Dan Robinson , but Jim was saying this was incredible this looks like an F-4 tornado of the sort but only producing F-1 damage, this is before they even knew about the real deal when daylight struck, i didnt even know, i didnt appreciate the fact you being mr hard ass about this i wasn't disrespecting Dan R. or you in the sort!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back