9/16/06 REPORTS: SD/MN/NE *rescued*

9/16/06 REPORTS: SD / MN / NE / KS *rescued*

**rescued post**
**NOTE: I was unable to recover page 1 of this article from the Google cache: what you see below is from page 2 onward. If I manage to get it later I (or someone else) will need to append it to the end of this article for now** J.BE.

afischer

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 pm

Remarkable photos everyone! I was lucky to be there too. Can 2006 get any stranger?

Here is my prelim account... http://www.tornadohead.com/091606chase.htm

Andy

Jeff Snyder

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:49 pm

I chased with Dan Dawson, Gabe Garfield, Robin Tanamachi, and my wife yesterday in southwestern KS. It looked like things may play out favorably for us by the time we reached Woodward, with convection initiating to the north-northwest of us in KS. By the time we made it through Coldwater, we had witnessed several updrafts go up... and down. We headed eastward towards Pratt, watching several very small, yet nicely corkscrew-shaped, updrafts (LP supercells) to our north. In the end, the updrafts weren't able to sustain themselves. It beat a clear-sky bust, but I'm not sure it was worth the drive... Oh well.
http://www.tornadocentral.com

Simon Brewer

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:27 am

Jim Bishop and I documented two tornadoes in Southeastern SD, which everyone else seemed to catch:
homepage.jpg

6.jpg

We left Brookings, SD a little late and caught the tail end of the tornado near I-90, but had a decent view of the next tornado.

Check out chase account here...hope to add some actual text later:

http://www.stormgasm.com/9-16-06/9-16-06.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
cont...

**rescued post cont..**

Dustin Wilcox

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:54 am

Sean and Katie McMullen and myself, started the day out headed for Yankton. We arrived in Yankton just as the first storm started to go up just to our North, we could of easily made it but decided to be patient and not chase after the first storm as it looked like we would be seeing development down near O'neil that would drift right at us, well that never occurred after hearing all the numerous reports coming out of the area just to our north we became very frustrated with ourselves; however we still had hope for the day as there was still a dryline bulge just to our south that we held out hope for. Sure enough as we began to race south storms started to fire near the York NE area we intercepted the storms which became a line just south of Columbus, after watching those storms form a line we decided to chase after the storm that developed over Lincoln out ahead of the line and that was tracking near Omaha. We began to get our first look at the storm some where near Ceresco and continued to watch it with growing interest as we noticed a very nice updraft base with a very stout wall cloud, at one point we saw a couple funnels form and not long after a Tornado Warning went up. As we rolled through Ashland a small breif tornado touched down to our NE at the same time and ldirection of the confirmed tornado.

STORM001-2.jpg

STORM003.jpg

This is the Storm as it is direcetly over West Omaha (the residential area) I think Omaha dodged a bullet as this could of easily been a very serious situation
september_16__2006_00072.jpg

While it would of been nice to not miss the SD tornados we got something unique as there were not a thousand chasers on this storm as there was up there, in fact I have not seen any other photos or video of this twister KETV the local news who used the photos said they were the only ones they have seen as well.

cont...

**rescued post cont..**

Tony Laubach

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:00 am

This was a tough day of chasing after seeing what friends bagged less than hour ahead of us. I'm not sure there was anything our group could've done other than leave an hour earlier to get up in time to see these storms. We missed the first tornado by less than an hour and barely made it across I-90 in South Dakota in time to catch the dying second tornado after it destroyed a farm house. Unfortunately whatever condition that was in place before we got there disappeared quickly after our arrival (our absence, perhaps), so there were no more tornado reports after that til well after dark. It was a fun and epic chase as we ended up as far as Pipestone, Minnesota before turning around and giving our forth storm of the day a final chance before sunrise. We ended the night in Sioux City, IA over a Chili's dinner and celebrating a good day. Verne Carlson and company had the shots of the day as they were within a couple hundred feet of the first tornado. His report is linked above. After a quick night's sleep, we made the long journey back to Colorado where we arrived home over 1,608 miles later.

060916a.jpg

Leaving Brighton up I-76 at 6:15am.

060916b.jpg

Horseshoe Funnels over extreme Western Iowa.

060916g.jpg

Approaching the debris cloud of the second of two big tornadoes of the day. We were less than an hour away from the first one and caught the last 60 seconds of this tornado after it destroyed a farm house.

060916n.jpg

cont...

Tony Laubach cont...

Blinding rain and a setting sun make for fun driving as we leave Minnesota back for I-29 in South Dakota.

SOME SCENIC SHOTS FROM THE REST OF THE CHASE
060916o.jpg

060916s.jpg

060916p.jpg

060916q.jpg

cont...

Tony Laubach cont...

060916t.jpg

060916y.jpg

060916z.jpg

Total miles: 1608 in about 36 hours; went from Lakewood (Denver), CO to Pipestone, Minnesota in about 11 hours. Stayed overnight in Sioux City, IA.

Chased with (in car) Jon Van de Grift, Tom Dulong, and Allison.

Chase with (caravan) Verne Carlson, Michael Carlson, Chris Collura.

Tried to find Doug Kiesling (we must've crossed paths a dozen times, but never saw him).

Kurt Silvey

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:09

I was going to post my report, but I got kind of windy, so posted it on the blog instead, here’s the link http://pdswatch.com/?p=91

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... but, a true friend will
be sitting next to you saying, 'Damn, we really messed up '

cont...

** rescued post cont..**

Chris Rozoff

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:44 pm
Post subject: SD/MN Chase

Not much uniqueness to add to this chase day, but here's my report:
http://gauss.atmos.colostate.edu/~rozoff/chasing/16sep06/

3 highlight photos:

t42.jpg

t72.jpg

t141.jpg

An enjoyable chase, but a long drive.

Edward Ballou

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:55 pm

My website has now been updated with the damage photos. This was after they had cleaned up a bit. http://www.carpetempestas.com

I also got video posted - it's not dazzling as most of your guys' photage, but it gives it that first tornado feel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4oYGrQVxLk

Here's some vid caps from this chase i missed the tornado but wasnt to far from the storm i was Northeast of it as they were saying the tornado was crossing (81) and I-90, caught 3 storms total so it wasnt a loss . I orginally caught the first isolated cell near Parker, it was small and isolated so i knew it had potential, i kept with it just about to I-90 then i went east and north and tried to keep up but i was on backgroads and came across a lake with a dead end so i had to find another road anyways i drove north and east and found a spot and sat as more storms fired and quickly moved ENE towards my location.

SDchase2_0001.jpg

06093020_0001.jpg

06093012003_0002.jpg

06093013004_0001.jpg

Back